AUBURN, Ala. — Gus Malzahn is particular about what he shows to the media during the few viewing windows of Auburn football practices. That’s what made the first day of the Tigers’ 2017 spring camp so interesting.
Instead of easing former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham into how Auburn runs practices, he led the first-team offense in Malzahn’s traditional pace drills as an injured Sean White watched from the sidelines. The Tigers also had redshirt freshman Woody Barrett line up as second-team quarterback. Senior John Franklin III split time between offense and special teams.
The quarterback pecking order was among several topics discussed Tuesday evening in a video recap by SEC Country’s Auburn beat writers Justin Ferguson and Lauren Shute. Check out the analysis from the first day of action back on the Plains:
Auburn football spring practice: Day 1
- Don’t expect Gus Malzahn to name Jarrett Stidham the Tigers’ starter just yet
- Full breakdown of Auburn’s first- and second-team offense and defense
- Who’s healthy, who’s not for the start of Auburn football spring practice
- Gus Malzahn announces 3 new additions to Auburn coaching staff
- Kyle Davis to miss start of spring practices with ‘personal business’
- Deon Mix, Cameron Toney decide to leave Auburn program
- Markell Boston dismissed from Auburn football
- Stephen Davis Jr. no longer a member of the Auburn Tigers
- Gus Malzahn previews the start of spring practices
- Resetting the depth chart on offense at start of spring ball