Auburn football: What you won’t hear at SEC Media Days, a big time weekday commitment
Welcome to SEC Country’s daily War Eagle Wakeup, a rundown of everything happening in Auburn football and Auburn Tigers athletics with Lauren Shute. Today, we discuss what Gus Malzahn and player representatives won’t say at SEC Media Days and the commitment of Quindarious Monday.
What you’re not going to hear in Hoover, Ala.
The talking has begun, but that doesn’t mean you’re going to hear what you’re listening for during SEC Media Days.
Gus Malzahn and Auburn’s three player representatives will discuss several important topics. All responses will be overwhelmingly positive. There will probably be some unexpected comments as well as standard ones. If you’re hoping for specifics in any regard, though, prepare yourself. Here’s the short list of what you won’t hear when Auburn reps get in front of microphones on Thursday.
- Stidham named the starter — Jarrett Stidham was in the spotlight for the entirety of Auburn’s spring game and the former Baylor quarterback handled it just as expected. The feeling on the Plains, and nationally, is that Stidham will be named the starter. But Thursday? It’s a competition between Stidham, Sean White and Malik Willis — and that’s probably all you’re going to get.
- Injury updates — Let’s say a skill player sprained an ankle during a 7-on-7 captain’s practice. Don’t anticipate any updates on how healthy anyone on the roster is — that’s especially true when it comes to players who have shown a tendency to be injury-prone.
- Offensive specifics — Want more insight as to what Chip Lindsey is planning for Auburn’s offense? Think again. You’re not going to get anything out of Malzahn and probably won’t get much info out of offensive lineman Braden Smith.
- Possible depth issues — Auburn needs to figure out who is going to fill in behind Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson in the backfield. The Tigers also have a couple of holes to fill on the offensive line and in the secondary. As far as you’re concerned there are no depth issues, but in some key spots the reality is there might be.
- Discussion of 2016 moments — The entire Auburn program is beyond excited about the possibility 2017 is going to bring. Don’t expect a lot of reflection over low moments from last season. the Tigers think they can do big things this fall, and that will be the focus.
Austin Golson joins the watch list party
Pettway, Stidham and Tray Matthews were invited to the watch-list party on Monday afternoon.
Yet a big part of the success Auburn’s star running back and possibly starting quarterback could have will depend on the Tigers’ offensive line. That’s where Austin Golson comes in.
The senior was named to the Rimington Trophy watch list — it’s given to the best center in the country — on Tuesday. Golson was one of eight SEC centers on a list of 71 names. Most recently Auburn’s Reese Dismukes won the award in 2014.
- SEC Country’s Justin Ferguson details incoming freshman John Samuel Shenker’s remarkable journey back to Auburn.
- AL.com explained just how close 5-star offensive lineman Martez Ivey was to playing for the Auburn Tigers, rather than for the Florida Gators.
- Auburn Undercover recapped Ivey’s thoughts about why H-back Chandler Cox is a player to build a team around at Auburn.
- The Opelika-Auburn News discussed the praise Kamryn Pettway is receiving this week in Hoover.
The Monday Tuesday
It happened once again on Tuesday evening. Ironically enough, Gus Malzahn Tweeted out a very important message about a special player named Quindarious Monday.
Boom!!!!!!!!! This class is going to be special! War Eagle!
— Coach Gus Malzahn (@CoachGusMalzahn) July 12, 2017
The 4-star safety from Atlanta chose to commit to Auburn over Clemson, Georgia, Florida and others. According to SEC Country’s Benjamin Wolk, this could be just the beginning of a big stretch. The Tigers are also hosting 5-star quarterback prospect Justin Fields and 4-star wide receiver Kearis Jackson this weekend. And the messages hitting Twitter imply there could be a couple more loud announcements coming Malzahn’s way.
If you’ve finally figured out which day of the week Monday committed on, but you’re looking for more info, Wolk has you covered once again. Here are 5 things you need to know about newest commit Quindarious Monday.
Miss a previous edition? Find every post of SEC Country’s daily War Eagle Wakeup Auburn football post right here.