Auburn’s 2018 recruiting class sits at 11 commitments with six months between now and National Signing Day. The Tigers recently received three commitments in a four-day span: defensive prospect Josh Marsh (Decatur, Ala.), linebacker Michael Harris (Tucker Ga.) and safety Jamien Sherwood (Jensen Beach, Fla.).
With 11 spots filled, Auburn has a dozen or so more prospects to bring on board in the Class of 2018. The Tigers would like to get near 15 commitments by the start of the 2017 football season, which is less than a month away, and then let the season’s performance dictate the remainder of the class.
Here’s an early glance of where things stand for Auburn’s 2018 class:
Where Auburn’s class ranks
Auburn’s 2018 class is ranked No. 33 in the nation and No. 9 in the SEC. Three of the Tigers’ 11 commits are 4-star recruits. Eight of their commitments are 3-star prospects. Auburn doesn’t have any 5-star commits to this point. Auburn has time to make a significant rise in the national and conference rankings.
Richard Jibunor has delayed his decision to make room for another set of visits, specifically a trip to Florida. The Athens, Ga., product — originally from Nigeria — is likely to land in Auburn’s class. Once this dead period is over, Jibunor will take a visit to Florida and perhaps follow-up visits to Auburn, Tennessee and Alabama, as well. His college decision will come soon after that.
In case you missed anything from this week, here are other top recruiting headlines:
- The Tigers made the top 5 for another Nigerian-born prospect, Kayode Oladele from Miami. He camped at Auburn recently and picked up an offer.
- Here’s the Tigers’ to-do list in recruiting for August.
- Two top-100 prospects visited Auburn on the eve of the dead period.
- Auburn’s 2017 results will have an influence on the decision of one of the nation’s best 2019 prospects.
- Bo Nix is the Tigers’ No. 1 priority in the Class of 2019 — and it’s not a debate.
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 200
- 5-star offers: 13
- In-state recruits offered: 21
- Georgia recruits offered: 49
- Florida recruits offered: 56
- 4-star QB Joey Gatewood, Bartram Trail (Fla.)
- 4-star ATH Quindarious Monday, Carver (Ga.)
- 4-star ILB Michael Harris, Tucker (Ga.)
- 3-star APB Shaun Shivers, Chaminade-Madonna (Fla.)
- 3-star S Jamien Sherwood, Jensen Beach (Fla.)
- 3-star OG Jalil Irvin, Stephenson (Ga.)
- 3-star DE Daquan Newkirk, Mississippi Gulf Coast C.C.
- 3-star OT Kameron Stutts, Brooks (Ala.)
- 3-star WR Shedrick Jackson, Hoover (Ala.)
- 3-star ATH Kolbi Fuqua, Cordova (Ala.)
- 3-star ATH Josh Marsh, Decatur (Ala.)
Top 5 uncommitted targets
- 5-star QB Justin Fields, Harrison (Ga.)
- 4-star OG Trey Hill, Houston County (Ga.)
- 4-star LB JJ Peterson, Colquitt County (Ga.)
- 4-star WR Justyn Ross, Central (Ala.)
- 4-star OL Dylan Wonnum, Tucker (Ga.)
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed:
- QB: 1/2 (Gatewood)
- RB: 1/2 (Shivers)
- TE: 0/1
- WR: 1/4 (Jackson)
- OL: 1/4 (Stutts, Irvin)
- DL: 1/4 (Newkirk)
- LB: 1/2 (Harris)
- CB: 0/2
- S: 4/4 (Monday, Sherwood, Marsh, Fuqua)
Here’s a breakdown of Auburn’s commits by state:
- Alabama: 4 (Stutts, Jackson, Fuqua, Marsh)
- Florida: 3 (Gatewood, Shivers, Sherwood)
- Georgia: 3 (Irvin, Harris, Monday)
- Mississippi: 1 (Newkirk — originally from Florida)