AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn is on a hot streak when it comes to busy recruiting weekends.
The Tigers had plenty of information come out of the first scrimmage week (plus my trip to Atlanta for The Opening regional). This last weekend was more of the same with an impressive group of talent viewing the team’s second scrimmage, to go along with more information from the Under Armour All-America camp in Atlanta.
The past two-week stretch all sets up for another huge upcoming weekend with A-Day. Of note, however: Next Saturday is a big ACT date, so there will be guys who Auburn expected to be on campus for the spring game that might not be able to make it or will be late arrivals. For that reason, I’ll hold off on a visitors list until later in the week when it’s more set in stone.
Still, there were plenty of takeaways from the past weekend.
Here we go.
- 4-star LB Zakoby McClain named Auburn his leader. His decision could be coming soon. McClain looked great at the Under Armour camp in Atlanta on Sunday, too. As a smaller linebacker, there’s a lot of Travis Williams, the player, in McClain’s game.
- 4-star QB/ATH Gerry Bohanon made a visit, and it went well. Bohanon said all the schools recruiting him, sans Arkansas, say they want him as a quarterback. An SEC Country source said that Joey Gatewood is still Auburn’s guy at quarterback, but the Tigers have potential interest in a second. Bohanon is an impressive athlete, though. He said he has no attachment to his home state of Arkansas, especially if the Razorbacks stay resistant to the idea of quarterback.
- 4-star WR Justyn Ross spoke with SEC Country for the second Saturday in a row. There isn’t much new there. National Signing Day is his rough estimate decision date. Auburn and Alabama seem like the front-runners, but he’s willing to visit outside the state when his mom returns. Ross said Alabama signee Markail Benton’s push will have a “little” influence on his final decision.
- 4-star OL Trey Hill will visit Auburn for A-Day, which will be close to double-digit times the big offensive guard will have been on the Plains. He noted that 2017 is a make-or-break season for Gus Malzahn and staff. He’ll watch that performance closely.
- 4-star OL Richard Gouraige made a trip to Auburn over the weekend. He liked it so much he’s considering a return for A-Day. If that happens, it would be huge news for the Tigers, but don’t 100 percent count on it. Either way, the Tampa, Fla., area is somewhere Auburn has a strong reputation of late with Nate Craig-Myers and Devan Barrett, so the Tigers hope that trend continues. It’s on a better track than expected.
- Auburn and Georgia are the two programs to keep an eye on with 2019’s best tight end Ryland Goede. Goede praised Auburn’s new two-TE approach under Chip Lindsey.
- 2019 defensive back Jalen Alexander from Grayson (Ga.) visited Auburn. The Tigers were the first to offer, and that will be meaningful as the process continues. Alexander thinks other programs like LSU, Georgia, Florida and others are close to offering.
- 4-star DT Alfred Thomas, who looked great at the UA camp, released a top 8 without Auburn. He still wants that offer from the Tigers and said if it comes, Auburn will be able to shift the list. Thomas won’t wait forever, though.
- 4-star TE Tyneil Hopper enjoyed another visit. He doesn’t seem too committal to anywhere at this point, but the more he visits he takes to Auburn, the more likely it would be for him to end up at the same program as a coach he’s close with, Larry Porter, and his former high school quarterback, Malik Willis.
- 2019 targets Bo Nix, Pierce Quick and Clay Webb were invited to the Under Armour All-America Future 50 game. Nix, once again, looked like the best quarterback at the camp. Quick and Webb both made the Final 5 among offensive linemen. Quick and Webb are attached at the hip, and it appears likely to be an Auburn-Alabama battle for both. Package deal? Wouldn’t be surprising.
- 3-star DE Andres Fox continues to say he has no timeline for his decision. He has Auburn, LSU and Alabama as a top 3. An SEC Country source remains confident that Auburn might have the best chance at this time despite Fox growing up an Alabama fan.
- Auburn running back targets Asa Martin, Harold Joiner and Tae Provens looked like the best running backs at the Atlanta camp, which included an Alabama takeover of the game.
- 2020 running back Cartavious Bigsby is blowing up. Auburn was the latest to offer when he visited the Plains over the weekend.