AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn came out on top at the end of a back-and-forth, extra-innings battle against Cal at Jane B. Moore Field on Saturday afternoon.
The Bears went on to defeat Notre Dame in a Sunday morning game. For that, Cal will be rewarded with another matchup against the Tigers.
Clint Myers’ ball club is the visiting team and first pitch is slated for 11:34 a.m. CT. Auburn must win in order to host its third Super Regional in program history.
Here’s Auburn head coach Clint Myers’ starting lineup for today’s game between the Tigers and California:
- CF Victoria Draper
- 3B Kasey Cooper
- C Carlee Wallace
- SS Haley Fagan
- RF Alyssa Rivera
- 1B Kendall Veach
- DP Courtney Shea
- LF Morgan Podany
- 2B Casey McCrackin
Follow along for live updates of the NCAA matchup with Auburn beat reporter Lauren Shute:
Top 1st: Auburn 4, Cal 0
- Victoria Draper singles down the right field line to start things off for the Tigers.
- Kasey Cooper singles through the right side as Draper reaches third base. That’s about as ideal of a start as Auburn could have hoped for.
- Carlee Wallace doubles to right center to give Auburn an early 2-0 lead.
- Haley Fagan makes it 4-0 Auburn with a two-run homer over the right field wall. What a start to this Sunday afternoon game.
- Cal will make a pitching change with Alyssa River due up.
- After her walk-off hit on Saturday, Rivera flies out to left field.
- Kendall Veach keeps things rolling with a single to left field.
- Courtney Shea flies out to center field.
- Morgan Podany walked.
- Casey McCrackin fouls out. Auburn strands two runners, but what a first inning for Clint Myers’ club.
Bottom 1st: Auburn 4, Cal 0
- Groundout to Casey McCrackin.
- Groundout to Kaylee Carlson.
- Groundout to Kasey Cooper. Auburn looks unstoppable after one inning.
Top 2nd: Auburn 4, Cal 0
- Victoria Draper makes contact on a bunt, but is out at first.
- Kasey Cooper sends another single through the right side.
- Carlee Wallace walked.
- Haley Fagan singles to the left side. She has been absolutely killing it at the plate. Loads the bases with one out and Alyssa Rivera up.
- Rivera’s hit looks like it might go over the fence in left field, but it’s off the wall. Still, it’s a two-run double and a 6-0 start for Auburn. Cal will make another change and bring in pitcher Zoe Conley.
- Kendall Veach’s hit pops up to second base.
- The bad continues for Cal. Starting first baseman gets hit on strange fielding play (she was out of position) and she’ll leave the game.
- Courtney Shea singles to left field, scoring Haley Fagan to make it 7-0 Auburn.
- Whitney Jordan comes in to pinch hit for Morgan Podany, but she lines out to the shortstop.
Bottom 2nd: Auburn 7, Cal 0
- Whitney Jordan heads to left field for Morgan Podany.
- Kaylee Carlson hits her first batter with a pitch. One on for Cal.
- Groundout into a double play.
- A single slides past Casey McCrackin. The Bears have a runner on first, two outs.
- Kaylee Carlson walks a batter.
- Line out to Carlson. Inning over.
Top 3rd: Auburn 7, Cal 0
- Casey McCrackin singles to left field.
- Victoria Draper bunts, but fouls out to the catcher.
- Kasey Cooper grounds into a double play. Quick perfect inning for a desperate Cal team.
Bottom 3rd: Auburn 7, Cal 1
- Double slips past Kendall Veach down the right field line.
- Groundout to first baseman.
- Groundout to Kasey Cooper.
- Cal gets on the board with a run on a wild pitch from Kaylee Carlson.
- Cal batter lines out to Haley Fagan.
Top 4th: Auburn 7, Cal 1
- Carlee Wallace lines out to center field.
- Haley Fagan’s walked.
- Alyssa Rivera strikes out swinging.
- Kendall Veach singles to the shortstop, but Fagan and Veach will reach.
- Courtney Shea reached on a fielder’s choice, but Auburn ends the inning with two runners left on base.
Bottom 4th: Auburn 7, Cal 1
- Double to right center.
- Hit comes to Haley Fagan, who makes a diving catch near second base. Pops up with a big smile on her face.
- Line out to Victoria Draper in center field.
- Strikeout for Kaylee Carlson.
Top 5th: Auburn 7, Cal 1
- Whitney Jordan strikes out looking.
- Casey McCrackin lines out to second base.
- Victoria Draper singles to third base.
- Kasey Cooper singled to left field. Then, Cooper heads to second and Victoria Draper lands on third base on a wild pitch. Bree Fornis comes in to pinch run for Cooper.
- Carlee Wallace
Bottom 5th: Auburn 7, Cal 1
- Makayla Martin will replace Kaylee Carlson.
- Groundout to Haley Fagan.
- A strikeout and other great catch by Haley Fagan. Today’s MVP.
Top 6th: Auburn 7, Cal 1
- Haley Fagan grounds out to second.
- Alyssa Rivera is walked.
- Kendall Veach reaches on a fielder’s choice.
- Courtney Veach laces a single up the middle to put two runners on base.
- Brittany Maresette comes in to pinch run for Shea and Morgan Podany is walked, which loads the bases again.
- Casey McCrackin flies out to right field, stranding three Auburn runners.
Bottom 6th: Auburn 7, Cal 2
- Single to left field.
- Single to Haley Fagan.
- Makayla Martin hits a Cal batter’s foot and the bases are loaded for the Golden Bears.
- Groundout into a double play, but Cal scores another run. Auburn 7, Cal 2.
- Make it a strikeout for Makayla Martin. Inning over. On to the 7th.
Top 7th: Auburn , Cal 2
- Victoria Draper grounds out.
- Kasey Cooper sends a solo shot into the scoreboard. The senior gives Auburn a six-run lead.
- Carlee Wallace strikes out looking.
- Fagan singles to the shortstop.
- Rivera grounds out to the second baseman.
Bottom 7th: Auburn 8, Cal 2
- Groundout to pitcher.
- Groundout to Kendall Veach.
- Single to second base.
- Groundout to Casey McCrackin.