Auburn sports: Learning from QB1; baseball looks to rebound in Birmingham
Auburn football is the No. 1 topic in the War Eagle Wakeup every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Tigers’ sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Auburn football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Learning from QB1
Auburn coaches emphasized that Jarrett Stidham’s spring limitations while recovering from shoulder surgery were a actually a good thing for sophomore Malik Willis.
The Atlanta product could take all the first-team reps while Stidham coached him up and offered guidance. Now that spring football is nearly over, it seems that everything went exactly according to plan.
Despite a spring game that wasn’t exactly thrilling, and may not have matched the strong spring Willis has provided, it still was a good experience for the underclassman.
Here’s what Willis learned from Auburn’s starter in recent weeks:
This spring, Jarrett Stidham was as much of a coach for Auburn football quarterback Malik Willis as he was a teammate. Here's what Willis learned: https://t.co/LCoGik9T9T
— Justin Ferguson (@JFergusonAU) April 9, 2018
In other Auburn news:
- Auburn football defense’s bold goal for 208: Be No. 1 in the nation.
- Why walk-on running back C.J. Tolbert’s presence is critical in 2018.
- Auburn’s chances with top TE target Luke Deal and Tigers’ backup plan.
- Former Auburn RB Kerryon Johnson makes fun of his own name in hilarious tweet.
- What Willis learned from Stidham in Auburn football’s spring practices.
- Just pretend Pat Dye or Tommy Tuberville is in charge and all will be fine.
- Texas cornerback Marcus Banks explains why he could see himself playing at Auburn.
MORE: Want this roundup in your inbox every morning? Sign up here
Baseball in Birmingham
Auburn baseball had a rough go in Arkansas, but after three losses to the Razorbacks, Butch Thompson’s team is ready to turn things around.
The Tigers head to Birmingham on Tuesday evening for a midweek game at Samford. Last time these two teams met, the Bulldogs handed Auburn a loss at Plainsman Park. Auburn is looking to turn the tables with a win before hosting Mississippi State on the Plains this weekend.
Tigers wrap up 4️⃣-game road trip at Samford.
— Auburn Baseball (@AuburnBaseball) April 9, 2018
Tweet of the day
All right, Jalil. You win Monday.
Met Cam Newton Today after workouts 🤟🏾 WDE🤙🏾 pic.twitter.com/1XcFYV4y7P
— Jalil Irvin (@Jalil_Irvin51) April 10, 2018
Miss a previous edition? Find every post of SEC Country’s daily War Eagle Wakeup Auburn football post right here.