AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn coach Gus Malzahn signed his five new assistants to short-term deals, with the longest contract running three seasons for defensive coordinator Kevin Steele.
Auburn’s other four assistants hired in January signed two-year deals, according to documents obtained by SEC Country via an open records request.
Steele, who left LSU on Dec. 30, will earn $1.1 million each year, with $100,000 raises built into the contract in each of the final two years. His buyout is set for $1 million before the end of the 2016 season, $750,000 before the end of the 2017 season and $500,000 before the end of the 2017 season.
Steele’s contract, while large, is certainly smaller than Will Muschamp‘s deal for one year on the Plains. He earned $1.6 million in 2015 before bolting to become South Carolina’s head coach. Steele was paid $1 million per year at LSU, but his two-year contract was only good through the 2016 season.
The remainder of Auburn’s new hires signed contracts good only through the 2017 season.
Secondary coach Wesley McGriff will be the highest-paid position coach among the new hires and is set to earn $500,000 per year through the 2017 season. Offensive line coach Herb Hand will earn $420,000, Kodi Burns will be paid $350,000 and linebackers coach Travis Williams will be paid $225,100 per season.
Auburn’s salary pool for its new five coaches is a decrease of $875,000 compared to last season.
Each coach will be rewarded $16,250 in car allowances each year, which is not included in the base salary for the coaches.
2016 Auburn assistant contracts*
- Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele: $1.1 million
- Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee: $600,000
- Defensive line coach Rodney Garner: $550,000
- Secondary coach Wesley McGriff: $500,000
- Offensive line coach Herb Hand: $420,000
- Receivers coach Kodi Burns: $350,000
- Running backs coach Tim Horton: $325,000
- Tight ends/special teams coach Scott Fountain: $325,000
- Linebackers coach Travis Williams: $225,100
Departed Auburn assistants
- Defensive coordinator Will Muschamp: $1.6 million
- Secondary coach Travaris Robinson: $550,000
- Receivers coach Dameyune Craig: $500,000
- Outside linebackers coach Lance Thompson: $450,000
- Offensive line coach J.B. Grimes: $370,000
*Based on latest contracts and salary numbers released by Auburn and obtained through Alabama’s open records database