AUBURN, Ala. — After being dismissed from Auburn last fall for his reported involvement in a bar fight, Duke Williams was on the Plains once again.
The former Tigers receiver participated in the program’s pro day on Monday at the discretion of coach Gus Malzahn.
“I just decided to give him a chance for his future to show what he can do in front of the scouts and I made that call last week,” Malzahn told reporters during workouts. “He’s out here and we wish him the best.”
Last October, Williams reportedly struck teammate and reserve center Xavier Dampeer following Auburn’s win over San Jose State. Dampeer was reportedly one of four people Williams attacked at a local Auburn bar. He was dismissed from the program shortly thereafter.
“I felt like that was the right thing to do and we wish him the best,” Malzahn said. “Hopefully, he impressed some guys for the future.”
The 6-foot-2 receiver was one of 14 Auburn players to partake in Monday’s workouts. Williams clocked a 4.69 in the 40-yard dash and measured a 35.5-inch vertical and a 9-foot-10 broad jump. A former two-year starter, Williams recorded slightly higher marks in both the 40-yard dash and the vertical jump, respectively, relative to his NFL combine performance in February.
Despite a subpar showing in Indianapolis, Williams maintained he was still a top-tier talent. But removing himself from the incident last fall may prove difficult.
“If I didn’t get in any trouble, I know I’m a legit first-round pick,” Williams told reporters in Indianapolis. “God had other plans. I’m a first-round pick no matter what, but off the field, I’m a seventh-round pick. My character’s a seventh-round pick.”
Williams continued: “I regret the fight. (Coach) Malzahn, he gave me chance after chance. It’s not his fault. It’s my fault because I should’ve learned. He took a chance on me. And I hurt the Auburn family by getting dismissed.”
In 2014, Williams recorded a team-high 730 receiving yards and five touchdowns.
Williams declined to speak to reporters following Monday’s workouts.