AUBURN, Ala. — De’Andre Wilder figured Father’s Day was a perfect time to spend time with his father at Auburn.
The linebacker out of Opa Locka, Fla., booked a flight to Atlanta to spend the weekend with his father, but not before a quick trip down Interstate 85 to visit the Tigers with family.
His first visit to Auburn resulted in some good news for the Tigers: Wilder will include Auburn when he trims his list of favorites to five schools in September. He also plans to take an official visit to Auburn in the fall, possibly in November.
“The school, they have a great confidence,” he said. “The dorms are nice.”
Wilder praised the coaches, the relationships he’s building with linebackers coach Travis Williams and defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, and his placed his plans to major in business management at the forefront of conversations.
“They tell me about family first and football second,” Wilder said.
Wilder, 19, said he fits Steele’s hybrid Money linebacker position. He’s rated a three-star prospect and the No. 27 outside linebacker in the country, according to 247Sports.
The Miami Carol City star did not attend Auburn’s satellite camp in Miami on June 10, but visited Alabama and Mississippi State on successive days.
Wilder has offers from 27 teams, according to 247Sports, with Miami trending as the favorite.
Auburn’s recruiting weekend
- 4-star offensive tackle picks Auburn over Alabama
- 4-star quarterback Kellen Mond to choose between Auburn, Texas A&M soon
- 4-star receiver Hezekiah Jones enjoyed visit to Auburn ‘a lot’
- Auburn ‘winning the state’ in recruiting, says Tigers commit
- 4-star linebacker KJ Britt could delay decision
- Linebacker De’Andre Wilder visits Auburn, includes Tigers in top 5