AUBURN, Ala. — The Tigers practiced Monday at the Auburn Athletics Complex. After the morning workout, Gus Malzahn addressed the media.
Prior to Auburn’s fan day, important news included senior QB Jeremy Johnson being held out of Saturday’s scrimmage and redshirt freshmen DB Jamel Dean suffering a knee injury that required surgery.
Here’s what Malzahn said:
- After main practice today, fall camp is officially finished.
- Tigers focused on end-of-game situational scenarios Monday.
- Thanks fans for coming out to fan day Sunday.
- Auburn will take off Tuesday for the first day of classes.
- Will return to practice Wednesday and the emphasis will be on Clemson.
- Malzahn on naming a QB starter: “Not ready yet, that could happen in the near future.”
- Graduate transfer Marshall Taylor’s status remains unclear.
- QB Jeremy Johnson, who was held out of the scrimmage on Saturday, is healthy and “ready to go.”
- Wide receiver Tony Stevens had a minor injury, but is healthy and “ready to roll.”
- On defensive line competition: “That’s an area of depth that we have and that will be a good thing early and as we move through the season.”
- On quarterbacks: “All three guys are respected by their teammates. We’re getting to a point where we can narrow down.”
- Malzahn says, “Until I’m 100 percent, we’ll keep letting them compete.”
- “We’ve always had a wildcat-type guy, and we’ve always had a starter. We’d like to have a guy.”
- Does not expect to have to go live in the next two weeks.
- On last year’s QB performance: “I really think from year to year you really have to push that aside and look to what they’ve done and how much they’ve improved. A lot of time a guy turns into a completely different player. I’m really letting them earn it.”
- There’s “no doubt” that running back Kam Martin will play this year.
- Malzahn says, “We’re hoping freshmen WR Kyle Davis will be back this week. He’s really close.”
- On multiple QBs: “I don’t think you can have enough quality depth at quarterback, especially if you run them. I think the fact that we have three guys is a positive. It’s good that we have that depth right now.”
- On making QB decision: “When you make a serious decision like that coach Lashlee and the other coaches will know, we’ll let that player know, and we’ll let the team know. That’s pretty standard for naming a QB.”