AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn held the first scrimmage of the fall on Tuesday morning at Jordan-Hare Stadium. After practice on Sunday, Gus Malzahn said the Tigers could name a starting quarterback as early as Tuesday afternoon.
Here’s what Malzahn said following the scrimmage:
- “It was a solid day.” Got the chance to work out in the rain.
- Malzahn says this was an “evaluation scrimmage.”
- Will analyze tape and look at veterans and newcomers.
- Three quarterbacks — Sean White, Jeremy Johnson and John Franklin III — rotated, had solid days and protected the football.
- Freshman QB Woody Barrett went live with the twos and threes.
- Malzahn says: “Overall big picture I was pleased. Sometimes people come out and are sleepwalking and I didn’t feel that today.”
- Emphasis was more on the run than the pass, by design today.
- All three QBs are getting reps with the ones and twos.
- On the defense: “Tackled pretty well, which is something you always look for. That’s always a good thing.”
- Malzahn doesn’t know that it will be necessary to have another scrimmage before naming a QB, but the team will scrimmage again this weekend.
- Out of the 65 runs, there was “one drop” from the running backs.
- Everyone came out of the scrimmage healthy.
- On Kam Martin: “He protected the football today. He’s a smart guy. With a freshman, I’m always looking to see if they can protect the football to see if they can play early.”