AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn practiced in full pads for the first time on Sunday afternoon. The Tigers will not practice on Monday, but will have two-a-days on Tuesday.
Here’s what Malzahn had to say after the first full contact practice:
- Opens with “Really focused on red zone today.”
- Says, “Operating in three groups and giving everyone a chance to show what they can do.”
- Auburn will hold its first scrimmage on Tuesday.
- On Marshall Taylor: “Marshall Taylor was not at practice today, but we expect him to be back out there with us in the near future.”
- Malzahn says Stephen Davis will start rehabbing a knee injury he suffered in high school and will not play this year.
- Woody Barrett will get the chance to show what he can do in the scrimmage.
- Malzahn says he feels “Very good about the quarterback situation.” Wants to name a quarterback as soon as possible and praises the improvement he has seen since the spring.
- On naming a QB after the first scrimmage on Tuesday: “It’s possible.”
- Mike Horton went through some reps with the first team on Sunday. Malzahn explains he’s trying to develop depth, giving young players an opportunity to work with veteran Tigers
- TJ Neal is a veteran guy and is expected to contribute on defense this season.
- Malzahn says “it’s unlikely” that he will play Johnson, White, and Franklin III in the opener against Clemson.
- “Doesn’t have a problem” with Kerryon Johnson returning kickoffs. Says, “He was one of the best in our league last year.”
- Malzahn touches on Sean White’s confidence, which is evident after one year of playing against SEC defenses.