AUBURN, Ala. — A day after Auburn’s first SEC home win since October 2014, Kevin Steele is scheduled to face the media Sunday evening for his weekly press conference.
The Tigers held LSU to just 13 points Saturday evening in an upset victory, continuing Auburn’s strong start to the season on the defensive side of the ball. LSU’s offense only put up 338 yards against Auburn, which allowed more than 400 yards on the ground to the same team in a blowout loss last year in Baton Rouge.
Steele is scheduled to speak Sunday night. Follow along here for live updates of the press conference from SEC Country’s Auburn beat reporter Justin Ferguson:
- Steele on the defensive players finally getting to celebrate a victory: “We’re all human, and we all want to see the fruits of our labor. I think that happened last night.”
- “We’ve really built an identity that we need to keep going on third downs.” Auburn’s only allowed 27 percent of its third-down opportunities on defense, per Steele.
- Steele calls Auburn’s forced fumble in the fourth quarter and Carl Lawson’s late sack of Danny Etling as the “highlights” of the game for the defense.
- The game plan was “simplified” on defense, so Auburn had some deficiencies in certain situations, according to Steele.
- “We’ve been efficient on run plays,” but Auburn needs to be more consistent in technique.
- Steele on the final play of the game: “I was pretty confident that (LSU) didn’t get it off in time.”
- Auburn had 7 quarterback hurries and 4 sacks on Saturday night. “Those are good numbers for us.” Steele said LSU had 31 called pass plays.
- Steele on slowing down Leonard Fournette: “That guy’s a special football player. I’ve seen it live and in color.”
- Kevin Steele on Les Miles’ firing from LSU: “I understand the business. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family, because they were so good to me and my family. I don’t agree with (the firing) philosophically.”
- Steele on his linebackers: “After the first four plays, I think we settled down and tackled well … We had a lot of hats on the ball. A lot of hats on the ball.”
- Thoughts on the hit that Tre’ Williams got ejected on? “We have to protect our game. We have to do our job and teaching the right way … But these are two players coming at each other at a high rate of speed. Angles change quickly.”
- “The starting defensive line played a really solid game. They affected the line of scrimmage on almost every snap.”