AUBURN, Alabama — Old friends reunite and face off as No. 4 Auburn hosts Arizona in Game 1 of a super regional. The winner of the best-of-three-series advances to the Women’s College World Series.
Auburn advanced last season for the first time in program history. Arizona is trying to snap a skid without a trip to Oklahoma City dating back to 2010 for Mike Candrea, who has coached the program to eight national titles.
Live updates will be provided below, so refresh the page for the latest updates from Jane B. Moore Field:
Arizona 5, Auburn 3 (7th inning)
- Auburn goes down in order after Rhodes’ home run. Auburn finishes with two hits and faces elimination at 2 p.m. ET Sunday.
- Jade Rhodes starts off the bottom of the seventh with a solo home run. Auburn trails 5-3.
- Arizona does no damage in the seventh. Auburn down to its final three outs in this opening game of the Super Regional.
Arizona 5, Auburn 2 (6th inning)
- Auburn fails to make any damage or record a hit. Tigers are now 1 of 19 against lefty Danielle O’Toole. Some Auburn fans are leaving the park as the Tigers face a loss with three outs remaining.
Ashleigh Hughes reached on error, scoring a run to make it 4-2 and Mo Mercado reached on a fielder’s choice as shortstop Whitney Jordan mishandled her third ball of the day, allowing a runner to score and give Arizona a 5-2 lead in the sixth.
- Rachael Walters hits a batter with the bases loaded and Arizona takes a 3-2 lead with one out. The Wildcats still have the bases loaded.
- Kaylee Carlson’s day is done after allowing an eighth hit. Lefty Rachael Walters is the new pitcher. The Wildcats have runners on first and second base with one out.
Arizona 2, Auburn 2 (5th inning)
- Auburn goes down in order and still has only one hit. The Tigers’ struggles against left-handers late in the season continue. They’re 1 of 16 (0.63) today against Danielle O’Toole.
- Mo Mercado delivers again. Her infield single scores a run, ties the game and she’s safe at first base. The Wildcats have runners on first and second with one out in a tie ball game.
Auburn 2, Arizona 1 (4th inning)
- Nothing doing for Auburn in the fourth. The Tigers still only have one hit.
- Arizona gets a runner on base, but Kaylee Carlson gets out of trouble in the circle.
Auburn 2, Arizona 1 (3rd inning)
- Tiffany Howard’s hit (they initially called it a hit) was mishandled by the shortstop, allowing the Tigers to score two and grab a 2-1 lead. Arizona has two errors. Auburn has one hit: Madi Gipson’s double to lead off the third.
- Madi Gipson leads off the inning with a double off the left-field wall to give Auburn its first hit. Later, Victoria Draper lays down a bunt to put runners on second and third base with one out. Auburn is threatening.
- Mo Mercado drives in a run on a fielder’s choice to give the Wildcats an early 1-0 lead. She was set up by back-to-back infield singles.
Arizona 0, Auburn 0 (2nd inning)
- Auburn goes down in order again.
- Auburn escapes trouble with a groundout with two Arizona runners on base. Wildcats had a pair of hits in the inning as Kaylee Carlson struggled to find the strike zone.
Arizona 0, Auburn 0 (1st inning)
- Auburn goes down in order
- Arizona goes down in order