AUBURN, Ala. — It’s been a busy time for Auburn in the two and half since the Iron Bowl.
The Tigers have picked up a few commitments on the recruiting trail, none bigger than Baylor transfer quarterback Jarrett Stidham. The 4-star dual-threat quarterback signed his JUCO letter of intent Wednesday, as did Auburn latest commit Salvatore Cannella.
Auburn also has its sights set on a Sugar Bowl against No. 7 Oklahoma. Bowl practices began Wednesday.
Gus Malzahn met with the media for the first time since post-Iron Bowl. Follow along with what he said.
- “Our guys were extremely excited to be back on the practice field … very excited for the Sugar Bowl against a very talented Oklahoma team.”
- The “Westbrook kid is probably one of the better players in college football.”
- “Defensively, they do a very solid job.”
- Devaroe Lawrence is the only player who did practice. Lawrence had season-ending surgery last week.
- Signed two JUCO players: Salvatore Cannella and Jarrett Stidham.
- On Cannella: “I think he has great potential.”
- On Stidham: “We started recruiting him way back when. We thought he was at the best quarterback in the country coming out of high school when he chose another school.”
- On QB competition: “We’re going to let them compete and see who wins the job.”
- Kamryn Pettway and Sean White were back practicing with “no limitations.”
- Pettway and White injuries: “At this point, I think I expect both to go tomorrow the same way.”
- On Wesley McGriff’s coaching situation: “He’s a talented coach. We hope we can hold onto him … I think he’s one of the best in the business.”
- More on Stidham: “I’m really encouraged that he wanted to get out there and participate.”
- Relationship with Baylor staff help? “It definitely could’ve. I’m sure it didn’t hurt the matter. We’re glad to have him. He’s got three years left. I think that’s good too.”
- What does Stidham add? “He knows the status. He’s coming in to compete. He’s a very talented young man. He can make all the throws. He can run. He can throw. He’s very accurate. He’s a mature young man.”
- John Franklin III status: “I think John will stay at quarterback. I think he’ll compete for the job. The fact this is the first year with the offense.”
- Alleviating depth concerns at QB: “Depth at that position is important. With Jarrett coming in, that really helps in that area.”
- Pettway coming back announcement: “Any time a key piece of your offense makes that call. There’s a chance he’ll have a super season.”
- Stidham ability: “He throws a very good deep ball. The trajectory, his arm strength, his accuracy. He’s got everything it takes to be a very good quarterback. The deep ball is definitely part o this arsenal … He’s a dual-threat guy.”
- Cannella: “That was what we were really wanting. A long body that has receiver skills. Sal really gives us that look, the fact that he was a receiver in high school … I think he has a chance to get bigger too. We’re real excited about him.”