Georgia strikes again.
The Bulldogs have had an advantage over the Tigers for the last decade of the rivalry. No. 9 Auburn entered the game with hopes of setting up a winner-take-all Iron Bowl in two weeks. Instead, Georgia upset the SEC West hopefuls, which effectively made Alabama division champions. The Bulldogs topped the Tigers 13-7.
Sean White struggled to his worst performance of the season. Kamryn Pettway’s quad injury that kept him out appeared to affect offensive play-calling. The Tigers struggled to one of their worst offensive showing in the Gus Malzahn era in the second half.
Here’s what Gus Malzahn said about the disappointing loss.
- “Our offense didn’t get it done today. It’s as simple as that.”
- On Sean White: “We’ll look at things. He’s our quarterback.” Said White hasn’t thrown a pass in practice the last two weeks.
- “Injury affected him.”
- More running back health issues. Said Stanton Truitt was hurt on first play of the game. Kerryon Johnson “wasn’t 100 percent.” Kamryn Pettway didn’t dress. More on Pettway, “He’s week-to-week. We’ll see.”
- “Our guys will rebound. This is a tough group. They have great leadership.”
- Confidence in John Franklin III and Jeremy Johnson to throw the ball? “Yeah I do. But I have more confidence in Sean White. He led us to this.”
- More on Sean White: “He’s a tough guy. He battled.”
- “(Montravius Adams is) one of the best players in the country.”
- Malzahn makes it clear he won’t return to play-calling duties.