Duke Williams’ NFL draft hopes are reportedly getting a boost on Monday.
Until this weekend, there was no word of whether the former Auburn receiver — who was dismissed from the team last September — would receive an invite to Auburn’s pro day; an olive branch that would double as another chance for Williams to work out in front of NFL personnel.
Sunday brought good news, though. AL.com’s Brandon Marcello tweeted that Williams will be in attendance on Monday.
“Things can change before the morning,” Marcello wrote, “but that’s what I’m hearing right now.”
The former Auburn wide receiver has spent the past several months repenting for a bar fight that got him kicked off the Tigers in late September.
“Plenty of nights I went to sleep and I cried,” Williams said at the NFL scouting combine last week. “I really cried. Because I ain’t hurt myself. I also hurt my family. My friends. My teammates. Coaches who gave me chance after chance. I hurt them.”
A strong Tigers career (57 receptions for 877 yards and six touchdowns in 15 games) included plenty of NFL-ready moments, but none of them weigh as heavily in Williams’ scouting report as his off-field troubles.
If the 6-foot-2 receiver is indeed present Monday — and performs well — it could be the difference between hearing his name called in late April or not.
“If I didn’t get in any trouble, I know I’m a legit first-round pick,” he said at the combine. “God had other plans. I’m a first-round pick no matter what, but off the field, I’m a seventh-round pick. My character’s a seventh-round pick.”