AUBURN, Ala. — The Tigers got off to a slow start against Georgia State in Auburn Arena on Monday night. Several players picked up quick fouls in a sloppy first half filled with turnovers.
Auburn pulled its act together in the second half, finally pulling away to beat the Panthers 83-65. The Tigers were 2-0 on Monday night for the first time since the 2011-12 season.
Here’s what Pearl said following the win:
- “It’s good to be 2-0. Individually it was kind of fun to watch Jared Harper take over, but then Ronnie Johnson had five assists and one turnover. So we had pretty good point guard play.”
- Pearl was pleased with the effort and energy throughout the game. Thought defensive effort was improved as well.
- “I thought that was TJ Dunans’ best game,” Pearl says.
- On Mustapha Heron: “Mustapha Heron didn’t make his first shot. If he makes that first shot, I think he feels a little different about the next one.”
- Pearl says Auburn has seen about two minutes of man-to-man through the first two games of the season.
- On end of the first half: “I thought going into the locker room at halftime with a lead, with Danjel in foul trouble was very significant.”
- On Jared Harper: “Jared is a very smart player. He picks up on everything so quickly…He’s able to play with so much more freedom than a lot of players who are just trying to learn it. He’s got a mind for spacing. When we run a play, he knows why we’re running that play.”
- Pearl says again true freshman Harper will put Auburn fans in seats in the arena, but it was great to have such strong play from grad transfer Ronnie Johnson.