4 things Florida fans need to know today
Florida is in the top 10, and the year is 2015 … What!? Jim McElwain is easily the favorite right now for SEC Coach of the Year and perhaps National Coach of the Year, although Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh, who is also coaching a surprise team right now, is tough competition.
The Gators beat the Missouri Tigers this past weekend 21-3 and move on to a tough LSU team that is also undefeated.
Here are the four things Florida fans need to know today:
- Florida comes in at No. 8 in the AP Poll. For the first time since 2013, Florida is in the top 10. This weekend’s matchup will mark the first time since 2012 where both teams in a game involving the Gators are ranked inside the top 10.
- Is Florida the second-best SEC team? According to the official SEC Country Power Poll, media members believe UF is No. 2 in the SEC behind LSU. I do believe Florida matches up well against LSU, especially IF it can stop Heisman favorite Leonard Fournette.
- The defense earned an “A+” for its performance against Missouri. But one unit didn’t receive flattering reviews.
- Gators cornerback Jalen Tabor has started the trash talk already. You better believe LSU will have this quote up on its bulletin board. Expect more of this banter back and forth all week.
Other Florida news from around the Internet
- ESPN: Good article on how Michigan and Florida, two teams expected to be where they are right now, are succeeding with new coaches.
- Miami Herald: With the win, the spotlight is back on Florida. I just hope Gators fans aren’t expecting a national championship this season. If it happens, that would be great. But if it doesn’t, this season is already a success and the future of Gators football is bright.
- Gainesville Sun: It’s OK for Florida fans to start thinking about the SEC Championship. Florida is one game ahead of Kentucky in the SEC East standings. The Gators own the tiebreaker over the Wildcats because of their win against them earlier this season.