As Jim McElwain tries to rebuild Florida football into a championship program, one of his mottos is “recruit daily or die.” Join us here on SEC Country for a daily recap of the latest Florida recruiting news, tales from the trail and perspective on what it all means for the Gators.
Potential Friday Night Lights commits
Richard Gouraige, 4-star offensive tackle tackle, Tampa, Fla.: The Under Armour All-American last visited Florida for the spring game and returned Friday with his mother and siblings. The Gators have been his leader for several months. Gouraige told SEC Country he plans to commit “whenever the time feels right.”
Randy Russell, 4-star safety, Miami.: A few days after his June visit to Florida, Russell backed off his commitment to the hometown Miami Hurricanes. Russell recently named a top 5 of Florida, Louisville, Michigan, UCLA, and Virginia Tech, but the Gators are the overwhelming favorite to land him.
Tyquan Thornton, 3-star wide receiver, Miami.: Thornton de-committed from Baylor on June 7 just days after receiving offers from Florida and Miami. The in-state rivals are in Thornton’s top 5 along with the Bears, Georgia and Pittsburgh, but it appears to be a two-team battle between the Gators and Hurricanes.
Friday Night Lights preview coverage
- Friday Night Lights 2017: Recruiting news, notes, visitors list & more
- Gators will host a top-200 prospect at every position for FNL
- 5-star QBs Matt Corral, Justin Fields will both be on hand
- Florida Gators land commitment from in-state TE Dante Lang
- Nation’s No. 5 TE names Gators his leader after camping at UF
- Florida’s 5 biggest commits in Friday Night Lights history
- For third straight year, Jim McElwain & Co. deliver for FNL
Miss a previous Gator Chomps notebook? Find every daily recap of Florida Gators recruiting right here.