Dan Mullen bringing his own energy to Florida spring practices
Florida Gators football is the No. 1 topic in Good Morning, Gators every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Gators sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Florida football, recruiting, basketball and more.
New Gators coach setting tone this spring
Florida opened its first two spring practices to the public last Friday and Saturday, and Gators coach Dan Mullen’s energy was unmistakable.
Mullen was running around the field with his players, helping set the tone for what he expects this spring.
“I’m excited to be out here. I’ve been dying to get out here and start doing some football, get into some practice and all that,” he said. “That’s just me kind of flying around, excited to be out here, having some fun.”
Several players retweeted a video of Mullen running with the players from station to station.
— Megan Plain (@MeganPlain) March 17, 2018
“Man, that guy always has energy, from our workouts to this time, and I’m pretty sure in the season he’s always going to have energy and be with us every step of the way,” Florida linebacker David Reese said.
More than 1,000 fans attended Florida’s practice on Saturday, and Mullen liked the response so much he announced that he is opening practice to the public again this coming Saturday.
Thanks to all the Gator fans that came out to watch practice this weekend. I loved the energy you brought. We are going to open practice to fans again this Saturday from 1145-215. #GoGators 🐊🐊🐊
— Dan Mullen (@CoachDanMullen) March 19, 2018
The latest edition of the Chomp Chat podcast reflects on the fan turnout and excitement surrounding spring practice.
MORE: Click here to sign up for the Good Morning, Gators newsletter!
In other Florida football news
- Former Gators standout Mike Pouncey is set to join the L.A. Chargers
- Former Gators QB Treon Harris is changing positions at Tennessee State
- Derick Hunter, a 4-star defensive end from Fort Myers, Fla., describes how he already is learning from Gators defensive line coach Sal Sunseri, who taught him how to read an offense’s snap count. “I was out there calling what the offense was about to run, and it’s easy for me now. I learned that from Coach Sal,” Hunter told SEC Country. “He taught me that in film study, and no coach has ever taught me that. During practice he came over and gave me a little test about it. He wanted to see if I remember what he told me, and I did. So he’s a good coach when it comes to teaching us what we’re supposed to know for our assignments.” Read more about Hunter’s thoughts on the Florida coaching staff here.
- Florida got a commitment from Umstead Sanders, a junior college linebacker. SEC Country’s Zach Abolverdi weighs in on what that means for his brother, 5-star running back Trey Sanders.
In Florida basketball news
- ESPN’s Jeff Goodman reports that Florida assistant basketball coach Dusty May is a candidate for the head coaching job at Florida Atlantic.
- It was a tough season for Florida’s freshmen, but Deaundrae Ballard, Mike Okauru and Company could be in for bigger roles in 2017-18.
Florida baseball hosts Jacksonville
- The Gators (18-4) host Jacksonville (13-8) on Tuesday night at 6 at McKethan Stadium.
We will monitor the weather overnight and assess in the morning.
As of now, still planning to play at the scheduled time. https://t.co/wqOA9NEI8c
— Gators Baseball (@GatorsBB) March 20, 2018
What they’re saying on Twitter
- Egor Koulechov thanked Florida and its fans for his one season with the program:
Thank you 🐊 nation! pic.twitter.com/IhZ63ZdMcR
— Egor Koulechov (@RussianGusta) March 19, 2018
- Gators punter Johnny Townsend posted a picture of the plaque he received for leading the NCAA in punting average:
— Johnny Townsend (@johnnytownsend1) March 19, 2018
- Former Gators linebacker Jon Bostic has a contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers:
We have agreed to terms with LB Jon Bostic.
— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) March 18, 2018
Miss a previous edition of Good Morning, Gators? Get caught up here.