Dan Mullen continues to stoke expectations after wrapping up Florida’s recruiting class
Florida Gators football is the No. 1 topic in Good Morning, Gators every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Gators sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Florida football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Mullen appeals to fans during post-National Signing Day address
New Florida football coach Dan Mullen said he’s not one to get too excited on the front end of a recruiting class, which will ultimately be judged in a few years after those players get their chances on the field.
But Mullen always projects excitement for his program, nonetheless, as he did Wednesday night in addressing approximately 500 fans at the end of National Signing Day.
Mullen won the crowd over, as he tends to do, talking about his sky-high expectations and restoring Florida football to what he calls the “Gators standard.”
He also told the fans gathered in the team’s indoor practice facility that he needed their help in that quest.
As for the rest of the Gators’ post-National Signing Day glow, after compiling the No. 14 class on the 247Sports composite rankings, here is a roundup of the next-day perspective:
- SEC Country breaks down the five freshmen most likely to make an immediate impact next fall, though, of course, there are other names not on this list that could certainly leave their mark in 2018.
- SEC Country recruiting expert Zach Abolverdi looks back on the Gators’ misses in this recruiting cycle.
- Abolverdi and Florida broadcaster Jeff Cardozo also look back on the Gators’ signing class in the latest Chomp Chat podcast.
- Florida 4-star OLB signee Andrew Chatfield thinks Mullen is “building something special.”
- Former Gators great Tim Tebow offered his advice to the recent signees.
MORE: Click here to sign up for the Good Morning, Gators newsletter!
In other Florida football news
- Mullen took a slight jab at SEC East rival Georgia during that address to fans Wednesday night. It drew some “Oooohs” from the crowd.
- Mullen said Florida’s reinstated suspended players will be held to a higher standard, by him and the fan base.
- Mullen received a lot of attention last week for taking a helicopter to visit a couple schools and meet with recruits. He said that will be commonplace moving forward.
- Former Florida offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier is reportedly joining LSU as an offensive analyst.
What they’re saying on Twitter
- Florida WR signee Jacob Copeland has made a pledge to Gators fans:
— Jacob Copeland 🇭🇹 (@JCope1era) February 8, 2018
- Copeland also is still laughing at the viral moment his mother created at his live signing announcement on ESPN2 when she briefly walked away from the table after he chose Florida:
So who the fan is that said “This the best day ever? We beat Saban and Copeland mama for him to come to the gators”. 😂😂😂 whoever you is you my dawg now!!
— Jacob Copeland 🇭🇹 (@JCope1era) February 9, 2018
- Alabama linebacker Mack Wilson tweeted out his support of Copeland, who chose Florida over the Tide and Tennessee:
— Maserati Mack 🔱 (@iam__mw3o) February 8, 2018
- Florida JUCO DL target Dorian Gerald will announce his college decision Friday, so the Gators could still add to their 2018 recruiting class:
I will be signing in the Media Center of West Florence High School @ 6PM Eastern Time ‼️‼️‼️
— Dorian Gerald (@TopNotchDG) February 8, 2018
- Chatfield also tweeted about his college decision a day after choosing the Gators on National Signing Day:
— Andrew Chatfield™ ⛽️ (@Drew_Chatfield) February 8, 2018
Miss a previous edition of Good Morning, Gators? Get caught up here.