As Jim McElwain tries to rebuild Florida football into a championship program, one of his mottos is “recruit daily or die.” Join us here on SEC Country for a daily recap of the latest Florida recruiting news, tales from the trail and perspective on what it all means for the Gators.
The likeliest recruits from The Opening who will commit to Florida
Kyle Pitts, 4-star tight end, Warminster, Pa.: Pitts is not only the most likely commit, but he should be the next recruit to pop for Florida. He is scheduled to release a commitment video in mid-July and the Gators are the odds-on favorite.
Richard Gouraige, 4-star tackle, Tampa, Fla.: The Under Armour All-American named Florida his top school after attending the Orange & Blue Debut and the Gators still hold the lead. Gouraige could decide at any time, so another trip to Gainesville may result in his pledge.
Anthony Schwartz, 4-star wide receiver, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.: Schwartz is another prospect favoring Florida. He plans to commit in September after visiting five SEC schools in the coming weeks. No program will be able to match what Florida can offer Schwartz as a football and track athlete.
William Barnes, 4-star tackle, Apopka, Fla.: Barnes was one of the top O-line performers at The Opening. Florida and North Carolina are co-leaders and his recruitment should come down to those two schools. I expect the in-state Gators to land Barnes on signing day.
Justin Fields, 5-star quarterback, Kennesaw, Ga.: Fields’ recruitment is far from over, but the Gators have put themselves in a favorable spot. His mother has been on campus twice and Fields himself was impressed on both of those trips. He belongs at No. 5 over the other UF targets at The Opening.
In case you missed it …
- Florida Gators recruiting: What I learned at The Opening Finals 2017
- 5-star QB Justin Fields recaps Florida visit, including sit down with Steve Spurrier
- Fields considering return trip to Florida for a Gators game
- 5-star QB Matt Corral talks Florida interest, upcoming visits and Justin Fields
- 5-star DE Micah Parsons will visit Gators, says Florida is ‘definitely on the rise’
- 5-star CB Patrick Surtain Jr. eyeing return trip to Florida, possibly for FNL
- TE Kyle Pitts ready to decide after visiting Florida Gators
- WATCH: Gators commit Amari Burney likes Florida’s chances with 2 recruits
- Fields talks Elite 11 MVP, latest with recruitment
Miss a previous Gator Chomps notebook? Find every daily recap of Florida Gators recruiting right here.