Big recruiting week ahead for Florida football with special event on tap
Florida Gators football is the No. 1 topic in Good Morning, Gators every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Gators sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Florida football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Florida’s ‘Gator Grill Out’ expected to draw number of recruits
Dan Mullen and his coaching staff are putting together a special event this weekend for recruits, hosting their first “Gator Grill Out.”
SEC Country will provide a full list of visitors later in the week, but recruiting reporter Zach Abolverdi assembled a collection of players expected to attend.
That list includes:
- 4-star lineman Dontae Lucas (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 4-star lineman William Putnam (Tampa, Fla.),
- 4-star defensive end Nathan Pickering (Seminary, Miss.)
- 4-star defensive end Lloyd Summerall (Auburndale, Fla.)
- 4-star cornerback Jaden Davis (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.),
- 4-star cornerback Chris Steele (Bellflower, Calif.)
- 4-star cornerback DJ Turner II (Suwanee, Ga.)
Taking an Official Visit to Flordia this weekend🐊🐊👀👀👀
— DJ Turner II (@djturner_2019) May 14, 2018
Ethan White, a Gators offensive line commit, also will return to campus this weekend. He explained his commitment decision to SEC Country here.
“I just wanted to stay home,” White said. “I told myself when the recruiting process started that I didn’t want to go real far. All of my family is in Florida. Then, I met Coach Mullen and coach [John] Hevesy, and it just felt like the right move.”
Mullen, meanwhile, was asked about the weekend recruiting event before his speaking appearance in Miami, but he said he couldn’t comment with it being a recruiting function.
But Abolverdi offers some perspective on the value of these events and the history of former Florida coaches coming up with new ways to entertain prospects and their families.
MORE: Click here to sign up for the Good Morning, Gators newsletter!
In other Florida football news
- SEC Country’s Recruiting Rewind series caught up with Gators tight end signee Dante Lang in Delray Beach, Fla., on Sunday. He reflected on the recruiting process, telling the story of how Florida started recruiting him as a tight end when he was viewed mainly as a defensive end, and how Mullen won him over quickly to maintain his commitment. Also interesting, Florida fans were tough on former tight ends coach Greg Nord, but he was a key factor in Lang’s decision to come to Florida. Read the full story here.
- The San Francisco 49ers announced the signing of former Gators safety and sixth-round draft pick Marcell Harris to a four-year contract.
— San Francisco 49ers (@49ers) May 14, 2018
- Meanwhile, former Florida punter Johnny Townsend, a fifth-round draft pick, officially signed with the Oakland Raiders:
The Raiders have signed fifth-round pick @johnnytownsend1.
— OAKLAND RAIDERS (@RAIDERS) May 14, 2018
What they’re saying on Twitter
- Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin shared some academic stats from spring semester:
✅ 3.15 spring GPA
✅ 3.11 academic year GPA
✅ 327 Gators with 3.0 GPA or better
✅ 59 athletes earning degrees
— Scott Stricklin (@ScottStricklin) May 14, 2018
- Derick Hunter, a 4-star defensive end from Fort Myers, is set to visit Florida this week and gave Gators fans a tease of what he might look like in orange and blue:
— Rambo hunter. jr (@hunterderick31) May 14, 2018
Miss a previous edition of Good Morning, Gators? Get caught up here.