Despite dropping its first game in the SEC Tournament to eventual champion Ole Miss, the Florida Gators softball team earned the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament for the third straight season as it begins a quest for its third national title in four years.
Florida will host NCAA regional action, which runs Friday through Sunday, at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. If the Gators (50-6 overall) advance out of their bracket, they will host the Super Regional round of the NCAA Tournament from May 25-28, facing the winner of the Tuscaloosa, Ala., regional in a best-of-3 series for one of eight spots in the Women’s College World Series.
Who’s coming to Gainesville?
- Florida A&M (23-30 overall), an automatic qualifier from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
- Florida International (45-13), an at-large selection from Conference USA.
- Oklahoma State (35-23), an at-large selection from the Big 12.
The four-team regional round of the NCAA softball tournament uses a double-elimination format, meaning a team will be eliminated after losing two games.
Game 1: FIU vs. Oklahoma State, noon
Game 2: Florida A&M vs. Florida, 2:30 p.m.
Saturday (exact times not announced)
Game 3: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner
Game 4: Game 1 loser vs. Game 2 loser (Elimination game)
Game 5: Game 3 loser vs. Game 4 winner (Elimination game)
Sunday (exact times not announced)
Game 6: Game 3 winner vs. Game 5 winner
Game 7 (if necessary): Game 6 winner vs. Game 6 loser
How to watch online
Florida’s game on Friday will be televised on the SEC Network. Television broadcasts for the NCAA softball regionals after the first day are announced on a daily basis depending on how the games played out on the prior day. Meanwhile, all games will be live streamed online on WatchESPN.
Stats and Numbers
- Florida is 72-35 (.667) all time in the NCAA Tournament, including 22-12 (.647) in the Women’s College World Series.
- The Gators have swept their regional each of the last four years.
- Florida is one of three schools (also Arizona and UCLA) to win back-to-back national championships in softball.
- Heading into the NCAA Tournament, the Gators have nation-best marks in ERA (0.74) and fielding average (.986). Florida has the sixth-best on-base average (.427) and is 16th in runs per game (6.02).