Florida Gators playing a lot of games to watch among SEC teams
Welcome to another installment of Good Morning, Gators, SEC Country’s daily morning column covering Florida athletics with Florida beat writer Jordan McPherson. Here’s a look at what you might have missed on Thursday.
Gainesville road trip
Over the past two days, ESPN.com writers Edward Aschoff and Sam Khan Jr. have begun chronicling what they like to call their premiere SEC Road Trip. The point is simple: Each writer picks a game that involves an SEC team that they would travel to for each week of the season. The Florida Gators have been mentioned six times on their itineraries over September and October. Those games are:
- Sept. 3 against Michigan in Arlington, Texas: Aschoff cites the season opener as possibly the “first glimpse of Malik Zaire and a chance for both Florida and Michigan to make a major statement.”
- Sept. 16 against Tennessee: Khan says this game will “serve as a litmus test for both teams and give one a leg up in the SEC East race.”
- Sept. 23 at Kentucky: Aschoff believes the Gators’ trip to Lexington, Ky., “has upset written all over it.”
- Oct. 7 against LSU: “You know there will still be some bad blood lingering between these teams after the 2016 drama involving their rescheduled game,” Khan writes.
- Oct. 14 against Texas A&M: “This looks like one of the better cross-division games on the schedule this year,” Khan writes. “The last time these teams met, it was A&M’s first SEC game (and the introduction to Johnny Manziel) in 2012.”
- Oct. 28 against Georgia in Jacksonville: “One of the game’s best rivalries, this one could — and should — decide the SEC East,” Aschoff writes.
Ryan Young continues our “Next Generation” series with an in-depth look at defensive back Donovan Stiner, who was born and raised in Houston but always felt a connection with the Florida Gators.
Gators in the MLB
The Boston Red Sox called up former Florida pitcher Austin Maddox on Thursday to replace teammate and fellow former Gator Brian Johnson.
The Oakland A’s promoted former Florida pitcher A.J. Puk to Double-A.
New Orleans defensive back Devin Bush called Florida a “dream school.”
Canyon Barry told the Denver Post’s Benjamin Arthur that it was “great to be home” while working out for the Denver Nuggets. And yes, underhanded free throws were also discussed in this article.
Team USA volleyball
Florida middle blocker Rhamat Alhassan, a rising senior, was named as one of 14 members of the Team USA roster that will compete for the 2017 Pan Am Cup.
Awards and Honors
- Florida softball pitcher Jenn Rocha was promoted to associate head coach on Thursday.
- Florida track and field’s KeAndre Bates and Grant Holloway were both named semifinalists for The Bowerman, which is considered the Heisman trophy of track and field awards.
- Perfect Game named Florida baseball’s Austin Langworthy, a pitcher and outfielder, to its Freshman All-America second team on Thursday as a utility player.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
Oversleep and miss a recent Good Morning, Gators? No worries. We have all our past editions here.