ESPN: Florida QB Luke Del Rio has coaching potential in his future
Welcome to another installment of Good Morning, Gators, SEC Country’s daily morning column covering Florida athletics with Florida beat writer Jordan McPherson. Here’s a look at what you might have missed on Wednesday.
Coach Luke Del Rio?
ESPN.com posed an interesting question: What player on each of its preseason top 25 teams is most likely to become a football coach? For the Gators, it felt quarterback Luke Del Rio best fits the bill, which would have him following the path of his father — Oakland Raiders coach Jack Del Rio. The breakdown:
“Luke Del Rio has been around NFL coaches just about all of his life, and whether he was on or off the field for the Gators last year, he maintained a leadership role in Florida’s locker room.”
Four more Florida baseball players were selected on the final day of the 2017 MLB Draft to bring the total to eight. The last of them was slugger JJ Schwarz, who was taken in the 38th round.
Happily Abby after
Abby Wambach, a Florida alumna and one of the best soccer players in the sport’s history, is relishing her life post-retirement. She’s sober, married and enjoying a life without soccer.
Gators in the NFL
- Miami Dolphins center Mike Pouncey (hip) did not practice in the first day of mandatory minicamp.
- After skipping optional practices, Washington Redskins running back Matt Jones and tight end Jordan Reed showed up for mandatory camp.
- Vernon Hargreaves is holding his own against DeSean Jackson at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ training camp.
Steve Spurrier’s getting the band back together
Steve Spurrier loves his former players. So much so that he’s inviting them all to a reunion party in Daytona Beach, Fla., on Aug. 11 and 12.
— Coach Steve Spurrier (@SteveSpurrierUF) June 14, 2017
- Florida’s defensive back signees are openly recruiting Class of 2018 safety Randy Russell.
- Class of 2019 athlete Marcus Tillman announced his commitment to Florida.
- Class of 2018 offensive tackle Jalen Goss de-committed from Florida and reopened his recruitment.
Former Florida forward Devin Robinson is making his final preparations for the NBA draft on Thursday.
Meanwhile, Canyon Barry continues to get pre-draft workout invites, most recently with the Denver Nuggets.
Awards and honors
- Florida baseball closer Michael Byrne was named a first-team All-American by two outlets. Fellow pitchers Alex Faedo and Jackson Kowar were also named All-Americans on Wednesday.
- Track and field coach Mike Holloway was named the Men’s National Coach of the Year by the USTFCCCA.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
Oversleep and miss a recent Good Morning, Gators? No worries. We have all our past editions here.