Florida football targets competing at The Opening finals
Welcome to another installment of Good Morning, Gators, SEC Country’s daily morning column covering Florida athletics with beat writer Jordan McPherson. Here’s a look at what you might have missed over the weekend.
Updates from The Opening
Some of the top college football recruits in the country — including a share of Florida targets — have been competing at the Nike World Headquarters in Beaverton, Ore., as part of The Opening finals. Here are the highlights relating to the Gators from our Zach Abolverdi:
- 5-star quarterback Justin Fields recaps his unofficial visit to Florida, which included a sit-down with Steve Spurrier.
- 5-star CB Patrick Surtain Jr. is eyeing a return trip to Florida and possibly will be on campus for Friday Night Lights.
- 4-star safety commit Amari Burney likes the Gators’ chances with a pair of recruits.
- 5-star QB Matt Corral talks Florida interest, upcoming visits and Justin Fields.
- 4-star tight end Kyle Pitts — who has the Gators as one of his three finalists — is ready to make a decision soon.
The latest in our Next Generation series
Ryan Young continues our Next Generation series with a look at freshman defensive lineman Elijah Conliffe, a superhero fan who turns into ‘Elijah Prime’ when he steps onto the football field.
More on the Florida football front
- According to Tampa Bay Times reporter Matt Baker, the University of Florida is under federal Title IX investigation for the way the school handled a sexual assault accusation against Gators wide receiver Antonio Callaway.
- A look at former Gators offensive lineman Cam Dillard, who is playing his final year of collegiate eligibility at North Carolina.
Florida baseball roundup
- The Detroit Free Press takes an in-depth look at pitcher Alex Faedo, who the Tigers drafted in the first round.
- With the national championship in the rearview mirror, here’s an early, in-depth look at the 2018 Florida baseball team.
- Gators coach Kevin O’Sullivan earned a pair of national coach of the year honors.
Team USA Swimming
Florida senior Caeleb Dressel (50 fly, 100 fly, 100 free, 50 free, 4×100 free relay and 4×200 free relay) and alumna Elizabeth Beisel (400 IM) will represent the United States at the 2017 world swimming championships. The USA’s full roster can be found here.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Wide receiver Daquon Green:
Florida Boy🐊 pic.twitter.com/013Udb09iz
— DaQuon Green (@iamDG7) July 2, 2017
Oakland Raiders offensive lineman David Sharpe:
— D.SHARPE (@Sharpe_Theory) July 2, 2017
Wide receiver Dre Massey:
Swear the weather app ain't worth a damn in Florida
— Drè Massey (@D1Masseyy) June 30, 2017
Golfer Billy Horschel:
Lots of good in the game right now. Just need to clean up some of the sloppiness. Played 11 out of last 13 events. Going to enjoy 2 wks off
— Billy Horschel (@BillyHo_Golf) July 2, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Good Morning, Gators? No worries. We have all our past editions here.