A look at how Florida football targets fared during The Opening
Welcome to another installment of Good Morning, Gators, SEC Country’s daily morning column covering Florida athletics with beat writer Jordan McPherson. Here’s a look at what you might have missed on Monday.
Wrapping up The Opening
The Opening Finals concluded on Monday in Beaverton, Ore. Our Zach Abolverdi’s overall thoughts on the event as it pertained to Florida recruiting — along with player-by-player breakdowns — can be found here. In addition to the overview, here are a few more in-depth looks at some of the recruits.
- Five-star defensive end Micah Parsons said he will visit Gators, adding that Florida is “definitely on the rise.”
- The Gators are in contention for 5-star QBs Justin Fields and Matt Carrol.
- Fields, who won the Elite11 MVP award and led his team to The Opening championship, is considering another visit to Florida for a Gators game.
More than one year for Malik Zaire?
Graduate transfer quarterback Malik Zaire’s father said his son is taking a wait-and-see approach to whether he will apply for a sixth overall year of eligibility — and thus a chance for two years of playing time at Florida.
Stat to know
Athlon Sports compiled a list of 14 statistics — one for each SEC team — to know heading into the 2017 season. Florida’s statistic was 1991. Here’s the relevance of that number.
“The Gators open 2017 against Michigan in Arlington, Texas. Florida has not played a nonconference game outside the Sunshine State since a loss at Syracuse in 1991. Additionally, the Gators haven’t opened their season away from home since 1987, when they lost to Miami.”
More Florida football highlights
- Wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland is one of five Gators players on offense likely to have a breakout season.
- If the Gators’ offense wants to be successful, it will fall on consistent performance from the offensive line.
- Linebacker Kylan Johnson, a Texas native, is relishing the opportunity to start the 2017 season in the Lone Star State.
- Former Florida quarterback Austin Appleby said Super Bowl LI reminded him of Florida’s 38-28 loss to Tennessee last season.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Class of 2018 4-star tight end Kyle Pitts, a Florida target
I have decided to push my commitment date back until further notice.
— Kyle Pitts3️⃣ (@ghost_boi4) July 4, 2017
Swimmer Ryan Lochte
— Ryan Lochte (@RyanLochte) July 1, 2017
— Tim Tebow (@TimTebow) July 1, 2017
Kicker Eddy Pineiro
fútbol 🐊🤙🏻⚽️ pic.twitter.com/JIgnzXWBDr
— Eddy Piñeiro (@eddypineiro1) July 4, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Good Morning, Gators? No worries. We have all our past editions here.