Florida Gators extending their recruiting reach beyond the Southeast
Welcome to another installment of Good Morning, Gators, SEC Country’s daily morning column covering Florida athletics with beat writer Jordan McPherson. Here’s a look at what you might have missed on Tuesday.
Gators recruiting nationally
The Gators aren’t just trying to create a recruiting stronghold in the state of Florida anymore. As coach Jim McElwain heads into his third season, he and his staff are taking a national approach to their next recruiting classes — with some of the focus turning to Pennsylvania and California in addition to a slew of Southeastern states.
In other Florida football news:
- A list of prospects who competed at The Opening who are likely to commit to the Gators.
- The 5 Florida defensive players who are poised for a breakout season.
- Running back Jordan Scarlett made a lot of defenders miss last season, a skill that should pay dividends for him next season.
Alex Faedo signs
The Detroit Tigers signed their first-round draft pick, Florida right-handed pitcher Alex Faedo. However, Faedo will not begin his professional career this season, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Gators in the NFL
- Washington Redskins running back Matt Jones has hired a new agent as he continues to slide down the Redskins’ depth chart.
- The Detroit Free Press ranks first-round draft pick Jarrad Davis as the Detroit Lions’ 17th-best player and a likely Day 1 starter.
Cross country news
Paul Spangler — an assistant coach for the Gators track and field team who also oversaw the cross country team — is leaving Florida to take the same position at Boston University. Meanwhile, former Florida cross country runner Eddie Garcia and rising sophomore Jessica Pascoe dominated the annual Independence Day Melon Run 5K in Gainesville on Tuesday.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter: 4th of July edition
Linebacker Vosean Joseph:
— Vosean Joseph (@gloryboy_Sean) July 4, 2017
— Gators Baseball (@GatorsBB) July 5, 2017
Football coach Jim McElwain:
Thankful for the brave who fight for our freedom every day. Happy 4th of July! pic.twitter.com/AW6HUK6b0O
— Jim McElwain (@CoachMcElwain) July 4, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Good Morning, Gators? No worries. We have all our past editions here.