Tim Tebow’s baseball career hitting stride after walk-off home run
Welcome to another installment of Good Morning, Gators, SEC Country’s daily morning column covering Florida athletics with beat writer Jordan McPherson. Here’s a look at what you might have missed Thursday.
Tim Tebow strikes again
Is there anything Tim Tebow can’t do? The former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback for Florida football, who is now trying to put together a professional baseball career, is finally starting to click on the diamond. Most recently, he belted a walk-off home run for the St. Lucie Mets — a minor-league affiliate for the New York Mets — and is in the midst of an 11-game hit streak.
Florida football news
The Gators have down time for the next two weeks until fall camp starts, but there is Florida football news to read. Here are the highlights:
- We sized up Florida’s competition in the SEC East with this full breakdown of each team.
- Where does Florida football coach Jim McElwain rank among the SEC coaches?
- Preseason watch list season continues, and three more Gators are on lists.
- The three true freshmen who can step in and contribute for the Gators in 2017.
- Ranking the five biggest upcoming visitors for Florida Gators recruiting
- The Gators unveiled their non-conference schedule for the 2017-18 season. Spoiler alert: There are a lot of home games compared to last year.
- As first reported by the Washington Post, the Washington Wizards used their second “two-way” contract to sign former Gators forward Devin Robinson, who was an undrafted free agent.
The Gators announced the hirings of a couple coaches Thursday. Chris Solinsky, an American great on the distance running front, will take over as an assistant coach for the track and field team and oversee the cross country program. Mark Leon will be the new assistant coach for the men’s golf team.
In addition, Florida swimming and diving assistant coach Jeff Poppell has been named to the World University Games coaching staff, as announced by USA Swimming.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Former Gators safety Ahmad Black
— ahmad black (@ahmadblack35) July 13, 2017
Pro Football Focus about former Florida defensive end Carlos Dunlap
Carlos Dunlap has been a model of consistency on the left side for the Bengals pic.twitter.com/SHQmb9Gsz8
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) July 13, 2017
Former men’s basketball center Schuyler Rimmer
Super excited to announce that I've accepted a position with the Atlanta Hawks as a part of their video and player development team!
— schuyler the creator (@SchuylerRimmer) July 13, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Good Morning, Gators? No worries. We have all our past editions here.