5-star QB commit Matt Corral plans to enroll early, and more Florida football news
Welcome to another installment of Good Morning, Gators, SEC Country’s daily morning column covering Florida athletics with beat writer Jordan McPherson. Here’s a look at what you might have missed on Tuesday.
Matt Corral plans to enroll early
Class of 2018 quarterback Matt Corral, a 5-star prospect who committed to the Gators on Saturday, reaffirmed on Twitter on Tuesday he is in line to graduate early and plans to early enroll at Florida. This is huge news for the Gators, who are hoping their woes at the quarterback position are coming to an end.
MORE: Click here to sign up for the Good Morning, Gators newsletter!
Former Gators crack Sports Illustrated’s top NFL players list
Sports Illustrated’s MMQB on Tuesday created a list of the top 400 current NFL players as training camp gets under way. Of the 400 players, nine played college football for the Florida Gators. They are, in order:
- Washington Redskins tight end Jordan Reed (No. 34)
- Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey (No. 62)
- Miami Dolphins center Mike Pouncey (No. 80)
- Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden (No. 113)
- Cincinnati Bengals defensive lineman Carlos Dunlap (No. 208)
- Atlanta Falcons safety Keanu Neal (No. 216)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Vernon Hargreaves III (No. 218)
- Oakland Raiders safety Reggie Nelson (No. 355)
- Chicago Bears defensive lineman Jaye Howard (No. 362)
In other Florida football news
- NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein listed Florida defensive lineman Jabari Zuniga as his No. 10 college football edge rusher to watch in 2017.
- An over/under on key Florida individual and team-based stats heading into training camp.
- Florida’s home opener against Northern Colorado will be a night game and a “White out.”
- The Florida football coaching staff celebrated a successful recruiting weekend by jumping into Jim McElwain’s pool.
Harrison Bader called up
The St. Louis Cardinals called up former Florida outfielder Harrison Bader, a third-round pick in the 2015 MLB Draft, on Tuesday night. And Bader delivered in his debut, leading off the ninth inning with a double — his first hit — and then scoring the game-winning run in the Cardinals’ 3-2 win over the Colorado Rockies. Earlier in the day, St. Louis Post Dispatch columnist Benjamin Hochman detailed the trials and tribulations Bader endured as he worked his way through the Cardinals’ farm system.
In other Florida baseball news:
- One MLB insider said a Tim Tebow call-up is possible later this season.
- Former Florida catcher Mike Rivera logged his first professional hit and RBI.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Full video of Bader’s game-winning run, via the St. Louis Cardinals
🚨 WALKOFF ALERT 🚨 pic.twitter.com/0EjVxmAhD6
— St. Louis Cardinals (@Cardinals) July 26, 2017
Class of 2018 quarterback commitment Matt Corral
Im not taking anymore visits anywhere. My recruitment is 110% done with. I WILL be a Gator. 🐊
— M A T T Y I C E™ (@corral_matt) July 25, 2017
Defensive lineman Kyree Campbell
I swear our coaching staff so live 😂🐊
— Kyree Campbell (@CampbellKyree13) July 26, 2017
Gymnast Amanda Cheney
Happy birthday to one of my biggest (literally) cheerleaders! Love ya Tez🎉🎉 pic.twitter.com/694DsNIERn
— Amanda Cheney (@acheney21) July 25, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Good Morning, Gators? No worries. We have all our past editions here.