Florida football: Quarterback competition steals the show at Gators’ media day
Welcome to another installment of Good Morning, Gators, SEC Country’s daily morning column covering Florida athletics with beat writer Jordan McPherson. Here’s a look at what you might have missed on Wednesday.
Florida’s quarterbacks stole the media day show
The Florida Gators held their annual football media day on Wednesday to signal the start of fall camp. As expected, the quarterback competition stole the show. There was Notre Dame graduate transfer Malik Zaire, who spoke to the media for the first time. And then there was redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks, the frontrunner for the job at the end of spring who will have to compete all over again. The Gators open camp with a pair of split practices on Thursday afternoon.
MORE: Click here to sign up for the Good Morning, Gators newsletter!
More media day notables
- For now, sophomore Chauncey Gardner will play cornerback.
- Updates on signee James Robinson (enrolling) and wide receiver Antonio Callaway (playing in season opener).
- Seven Gators open fall camp on the injury report.
- A look at coach Jim McElwain’s main comments during his media day press conference.
An SEC Country exclusive
Four-star wide receiver Jacob Copeland — the No. 9 ranked receiver in the Class of 2018 and — revealed his college choice in an exclusive SEC Country video. Check it out here.
In other Florida football news
- The Pittsburgh Steelers signed former Florida tight end Jake McGee.
- Former Florida quarterback John Reaves died at the age of 67.
- Why the Gators never stopped recruiting Adarius Lemons.
- Former Gators defensive lineman Thaddeus Bullard — now known by his WWE name Titus O’Neil — will face off against University of Florida president Kent Fuchs, as reported by the Independent Florida Alligator’s David Hoffman.
Around the university
- Three Gators swimmers found themselves on the podium after the first day of the 2017 U.S. Open Swimming Championships.
- The Florida women’s basketball team unveiled its home-heavy nonconference schedule for the 2017-18 season.
- The Florida soccer team opened its preseason practices on Wednesday. A few highlights from Gator Vision’s Shelby Granath can be seen here.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland
Pressure bust pipes pic.twitter.com/qVzit5UR9V
— Cleve (@Tyrie_1) August 2, 2017
Defensive lineman Zach Carter
A lot to prove in little time. #CampSzn
— Zachary L Carter (@_ZachAttacks) August 2, 2017
Men’s basketball guard Egor Koulechov
Just realized that maybe I subconsciously chose Florida because they have the same blue orange colors like Blue Mountain State
— Egor Koulechov (@RussianGusta) August 2, 2017
Soccer midfielder/defender Gabby Seiler
— Gabrielle Seiler (@gabby_seiler) August 2, 2017
Oversleep and miss a recent Good Morning, Gators? No worries. We have all our past editions here.