Florida football: A ‘true competition’ at quarterback, plus more highlights
Florida Gators football is the No. 1 topic in Good Morning, Gators everyday — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Gators sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Florida football, recruiting, basketball and more.
The competition is there
Florida football coach Jim McElwain doesn’t want to give too much away about the quarterback battle after five fall camp practices. The main thing he will say: “There’s a true competition, and that’s a good thing.” It’s unsure whether Malik Zaire, Feleipe Franks or Luke Del Rio truly has the lead in the battle. With a little more than three weeks until the season opener against Michigan, McElwain doesn’t plan to show his cards just yet.
MORE: Click here to sign up for the Good Morning, Gators newsletter!
Tom Luginbill: Florida could be a playoff team
Speaking on the Paul Finebaum Show on Monday, ESPN’s Tom Luginbill had some interesting comments on the Gators’ quarterback battle. The highlights:
“If Florida emerges with a quarterback, I’m telling you right now, that is a College Football Playoff roster, top to bottom. Their roster, top to bottom in the components that you look for, if a quarterback emerges, look out.”
In other Florida football news
- Now that wide receiver James Robinson is enrolled and on campus, where does he fit into the offense?
- Florida still has a lot to accomplish on its Class of 2018 recruiting to-do list.
- A full photo gallery from the Gators’ open portion of practice on Monday and highlights of McElwain’s comments after practice ended.
- The Gators are excited about facing Michigan instead of the typical “cupcake” team to open the 2017 season.
- McElwain explains why Florida is killing it on recruiting trail.
- Malik Zaire is ready to revive Florida’s offense, but he needs to win a job first, Sports Illustrated’s Andy Staples wrote.
- Baseball: Our final Florida baseball summer ball update of 2017.
- Soccer: The No. 7 Gators play an exhibition match against Mississippi State on Wednesday.
- Track and Field: Gator alumnus Stipe Zunic won a bronze medal in the shot put at the IAAF World Championships in London. Floridagators.com’s Zach Dirlam took a closer look at Zunic’s past.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Wide receiver commitment Jacob Copeland:
— HAITIAN FIVE 🇭🇹 (@JCope5era) August 7, 2017
Running back Malik Davis:
I'm different from these 👥 I ain't nothing like the typical 🎱🌴3️⃣🐊 pic.twitter.com/POqsYmMx5O
— Malik Davis 2️⃣0️⃣ (@Campaign_Lik) August 7, 2017
Tight end C’yontai Lewis:
A Real Pic 💯💯 WBL pic.twitter.com/wQ36iGkG69
— C'yontai Lewis (@idunklewis) August 7, 2017
Miss a previous edition of Good Morning, Gators? Get caught up here.