Where Florida football stands after the AP top-25 rankings were released
Florida Gators football is the No. 1 topic in Good Morning, Gators every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Gators sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Florida football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Where Florida stands in the AP rankings
The Gators will open the season as the No. 17-ranked team in the country, according to the Associated Press’ Top-25 poll that was released on Monday. It’s the Gators’ highest preseason ranking in the AP poll since beginning the 2013 season at No. 10, and the second time being ranked to open the season under coach Jim McElwain.
MORE: Click here to sign up for the Good Morning, Gators newsletter!
In Marvel we trust
ESPN, in collaboration with Marvel Comics, released comic book cover illustrations of some of the marquee season-opening college football games for the 2017 season. (Spoiler: The Florida-Michigan cover is one of the best.)
In other Gators football news
- Linebacker Cristian Garcia announced on Twitter that he is now on full scholarship for his redshirt senior season.
- A big season opener like Florida’s against Michigan plays a factor, as our Zach Abolverdi explains in his latest podcast.
- A closer look at Florida’s offensive depth chart heading into the 2017 season.
- Former Texas offensive lineman Jean Delance announced he will transfer to Florida.
- Florida AD Scott Stricklin is in favor of more rotation in ‘suboptimal’ SEC scheduling.
Awards and honors
Florida defensive linemen CeCe Jefferson and Zabari Juniga were named to the Ted Hendricks Award Watch List on Monday.
- Soccer: No. 7 Florida’s home games this weekend against No. 2 Stanford (Friday) and Syracuse (Sunday) will now be played at Donald R. Dizney Stadium on the south side of campus.
- Men’s basketball: Florida teammates Gorjok Gak and Egor Koulechov will face off Wednesday during the World University Games.
- Volleyball: The No. 12-ranked Gators are hoping to have 6,000 fans in attendance for their season-opening matchups against No. 1 Texas on Friday and No. 5 Nebraska on Saturday.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up today and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Defensive lineman CeCe Jefferson
What's your favorite Old Skool song? Mine is "Im Curious" By Midnight Star!
— CeCe (@cecejeferson7) August 21, 2017
Former Florida gymnast Bridget Sloan
Trying to apartment shop from Indiana is not so easy….but where am I moving?! 😏✌️
— Bridget Sloan (@bridgetsloan) August 21, 2017
Miss a previous edition of Good Morning, Gators? Get caught up here.