Florida football: Recruiting the top priority as early signing inches closer
Florida Gators football is the No. 1 topic in Good Morning, Gators every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Gators sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Florida football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Early signing day is almost here
The big day is almost here. The national recruiting early signing period begins on Wednesday and the Gators are unsurprisingly trying to make some big moves in the final days. Here are some highlights:
- Florida hosted a star-studded group of prospects on the final official visit weekend before the early signing period.
- The biggest name on campus this past weekend was 4-star quarterback prospect Emory Jones, who could end up deciding between Florida and Florida State after being committed to Ohio State for almost 18 months.
- Jones is one of three big quarterback names the Gators are targeting after Matt Corral flipped to Ole Miss.
- Speaking of Corral, his de-commitment resulted in the Gators’ class ranking taking a major hit.
- Corral wasn’t the only player to leave the class, though. Wide receiver Tyquan Thornton flipped to Baylor on Saturday.
- Meanwhile, Florida did receive a commitment from 3-star safety John Huggins on Sunday.
In other Florida football news
- Looking back at how Florida coaches fared in their first season.
- The Florida coaching staff is continuing to shape up with the addition of former Tennessee assistant Charlton Warren.
Men’s basketball loses once again
The No. 22 Florida men’s basketball team has now dropped four of its past five games after a 71-69 loss to Clemson on Saturday at the Orange Bowl Classic in Sunrise, Fla. The Gators led for most of the game before missing 9 of their final 10 shots and allowing the Tigers to stay competitive throughout the second half.
Volleyball comes up short in national championship
The No. 2 Gators volleyball team’s magical season came to a stunning end in the national championship on Saturday, falling to No. 5 Nebraska 3-1. Florida uncharacteristically committed 22 attacking errors in the loss.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up now and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Wide receiver Antonio Callaway:
Underdog always come out on top🤫
— AC81 (@Ripbobby_G) December 17, 2017
Defensive lineman CeCe Jefferson:
Find one thing you're good at and perfect it.
— CeCe (@cecejeferson7) December 17, 2017
Wide receiver Brandon Powell:
NO MORE SCHOOL! 😎 pic.twitter.com/z9C7Xd4QlH
— Brandon Powell (@_Powellbp4) December 16, 2017
Defensive back Duke Dawson:
Boy boy boy what a feeling. Graduating from the University of Florida and about to enter the National Football League. Lord i couldn’t thank you enough for it all🙏🏽🏈👨🏽🎓.#childhooddream🙏🏽
— Duke Dawson Jr. (@7upya__) December 16, 2017
Miss a previous edition of Good Morning, Gators? Get caught up here.