Florida trying to keep focus on football ahead of FSU amid coaching search
Florida Gators football is the No. 1 topic in Good Morning, Gators every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Gators sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Florida football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Gators focusing on Florida State
While the buzz continues to circulate around the coaching search, the Florida Gators are trying as hard as they can to keep their focus on their regular-season finale against Florida State. They hear the outside noise, but at the end of the day — and after a trying season — they want to find a way to end on a high note. That would come by beating a rival they haven’t beaten since 2012 in a game that is likely going to be ugly offensively.
MORE: Click here to sign up for the Good Morning, Gators newsletter!
Latest on the coaching search front
Speaking of the coaching search, here are the latest highlights:
- According to a piece written by Yahoo! Sports’ Pat Forde, the Gators plan to widen their coaching search once the regular-season ends if they don’t have a deal finalized with Chip Kelly.
- While a deal wasn’t completely finalized with Kelly when Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin and his UAA higher-ups went to New Hampshire on Sunday, his hiring still seems to be inevitable at this point.
In other Florida football news
- Florida players explain what qualities they look for in a coach.
- Players pledge their support for interim coach Randy Shannon.
- Jimmy Dubose, the 1975 SEC player of the year, will be the Gators’ final honorary Mr. Two Bits for the 2017 season.
- Loyalty has kept 4-star linebacker David Reese committed to the Gators.
- Shannon said the Florida-Florida State game still matters to recruits even when both teams are in the midst of a down season.
Volleyball caps regular-season home schedule
The No. 3 Gators volleyball team closes its regular-season home schedule Wednesday against Auburn. First serve is set for 7 p.m. The Gators are still in a deadlock with the Kentucky Wildcats for the SEC title heading into the final week of the regular season.
Women’s basketball wins first game in Savannah
Behind 25 points from Funda Nakkasoglu and a school-record 15 made 3-point shots as a team, the Gators women’s basketball team defeated Richmond 87-80 on Tuesday as part of the Savannah Invitational. Florida (2-2) continues the invitational by playing Stetson on Wednesday.
Let’s keep talking
Want to keep the conversation going? Hop over to our free Florida message board. Sign up now and join the discussion here.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Former Florida cornerback Jalen “Teez” Tabor:
— Teez Tabor (@_31Flavorz) November 22, 2017
Defensive lineman Zach Carter:
How can you stand out if you trying to fit in ?
— Zachary L Carter (@_ZachAttacks) November 21, 2017
Quarterback Luke Del Rio:
Keep the internet the way everyone likes it. Stop trying to monetize everything for the 1%. #NetNeutrality Every decision shouldn’t be made according to $
— Luke Del Rio (@Ldelrio12) November 22, 2017
Running back commit Dameon Pierce:
UF Need To Hire Chip So I Can Go Ahead And Take My Official
— Dameon Pierce (@IRep229) November 22, 2017
Miss a previous edition of Good Morning, Gators? Get caught up here.