GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida coach Jim McElwain met with reporters to update spring practice.
Here were the highlights (with full video below):
- “Saturday’s practice was really good, especially in some situational things. Both quarterbacks, I was happy to see, executed at a pretty high level. We did dummy it down a little bit for their progress, but the big thing is finding out what they feel comfortable with. They’ve handled a lot of the new stuff we’ve installed.”
- “Really excited about how our offensive line has progressed. Just seeing the energy with which their playing with the finish kind of throughout practice, and seeing those guys kind of joining arms a little bit. (They’ve) really done a good job and we’ll see if we can sustain as we move forward.”
- “This time of year, watching practice, evaluating practice, evaluating personnel every day, talking about every single player on your team, and yet making sure you get to watch basketball, it’s a great time of year. Mike’s got those guys playing unselfish. You don’t see a lot of guys calling for me, me me. … That’s fun to watch. Again, can’t say enough good things there.”
- Injuries: OL Kavaris Harkless is still out, TE Kemore Gamble had strep throat but he’s going to practice today.
- On freshman OL Kadeem Telfort: “It’s great to see Kadeem get his feet wet the way he’s been doing it and see him compete and more than anything following in Tez’s footsteps the way he’s playing. That’s good to see.”
- “I don’t see Dre Massey missing anything, as far as a step of quickness or speed.”
- On freshman TE Kemore Gamble: “Kemore is a guy that people are going to know who he is.”
- “I think the most competitive, I go to our running back group. Seeing some competition at wideout, which is good to see, and knowing that Freddie (Swain) is still not there and he’s going to be a big piece of what we’re doing. I think we’re developing stuff at that position as far as guys pushing each other. And without David (Reese) there at that linebacker group, we’ve got a bunch of guys taking reps.”
- “Can we talk hoops?” McElwain goes on to praise the Florida basketball team for being committed to doing all the little things. And he thinks KeVaughn Allen will come out of his shooting slump soon. So there you go.
- On the offensive line and new coach Brad Davis: “I think any time that happens. Mike did obviously an awesome job with those guys and created the continuity when we got here. Obviously hearing a different voice, the way they go about the drills, they’re not just walking to the line of scrimmage. They’re playing with a renewed sense in how they go about it and he demands it from them”
- “I think the biggest thing is they’ve got to win on 50-50 balls, No. 1. The other thing is they’ve got to do a great job of creating space, understanding zones and how to get open. We’ve got some really good speed there, we’ve got some quickness.”
- “We haven’t been in a ton of true nickel because we’ve got that hybrid piece with both (Jeremiah) Moon and KC (Kylan Johnson). This week as we go along we’re going to get more into the five DBs in the game.”
- On the influx of defensive backs coming in this summer: “The defensive back spot at the University of Florida is a legacy position and those guys have a lot to live up to.”
- “I’ve been really happy with Mark Thompson, the way he’s been going. … I think he’s taken some real maturity steps.”
- “Taven Bryan, he has been our most consistent player day to day in all drills, which is something he kind of lacked a little bit. He has probably taken as big a step as anyone on the team. … That’s huge for us.”
- Offensive lineman Brandon Sandifer is no longer with the team. “He’s going to move on.”
WATCH: Jim McElwain press conference
Download the SEC Country app: http://apple.co/2cJwARR
Posted by Florida Gators Insiders on Monday, March 20, 2017