GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida coach Jim McElwain met with reporters Wednesday during the Gators’ bye week.
Here were the highlights from his news conference:
- “The energy yesterday was great, guys excited about getting back. We’re not obviously where we want to be based on that half that we played in that one game, but the guys are excited about it. Their energy has been awesome. … I don’t know when a great time for a bye week is, I don’t know when you can put a time on it, but it’s allowing us to (heal) up a little bit.”
- On LB Jarrad Davis: “Jarrad Davis obviously hurt that ankle real good, but if there’s a guy that I would bet or know that he’s going to do everything he can to get back, obviously he’s not practicing this week but he’s doing a great job rehab wise and we’ll see where that is.”
- NT Joey Ivie (thumb) is still in a cast. “It’s doctors and personal choice as far as how they feel. That will be the same thing with Bryan Cox and his hand. I don’t know whether he’ll go again this year.”
- RB Jordan Cronkrite (leg) is not practicing.
- DE Jordan Sherit came up yesterday in shorts “and bounced around a little bit … Time will tell. I think he’s still a full week away.”
- TE DeAndre Goolsby is not practicing. “I don’t think it’s long term, and yet there’s another case where it’s got to be right through the doctors and him mentally.”
- “We’ve got some young-ins out there taking a bunch of snaps on both sides of the ball. That’s OK. They came here to play.”
- On QB Luke Del Rio: “I think the biggest thing is don’t try to do too much. I think he was, he took the plan, he knew the plan and yet he got himself into trouble. I don’t know, I like to refer to it when you’re playing that position as seeing ghosts, rather than taking what’s real. He was down on himself. He shouldn’t be that down. He still played pretty darn good in some areas, and yet he knows he can play better.”
- On young defensive linemen: I thought Antonneous Clayton, he’s still a long ways away from where he’s going to be, but I thought he and Keivonnis (played well.” … McElwain was also really high on Taven Bryan.
- On Jarrad Davis: “I don’t know. There again. I don’t know how often I’ve got to answer those things. It’s him, it’s the medical staff making sure it’s right. If he’s (okay) he’ll go.”
- On the offense: “Part of that is, these guys have got to realize they’ve got a chance to really be good. You only do that through repetition and experience and that kind of stuff. What you do is (look) at the positives and say, ‘This is what you’re capable of.'”
- On Steve Spurrier addressing team last week:”He came in for about seven, eight minutes, told some stories. The guys, they’ve got a lot respect for this guy. They drive by his statue, we play on his field. He was able to relay real life situations that he went through with his teams and man, it was awesome. … We’ve got a great group of guys that respect the traditions of the University of Florida, and he’s a huge piece of that.”
- On grading the offense: “Very average. But you know what, we’re 5-1. Last time I checked that’s leading the east and our guys are excited about it. … Here’s what’s fun. These young guys don’t know. They’re getting a lot of playing time and they’re going.”
- On the defense: “They’re pretty good. I got against them every day. I get it.”