GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida coach Jim McElwain held his final media session of the week Wednesday night.
Here were the highlights from his news conference:
- “We got a lot of stuff done today. It was really good. I think the aftermath and everything is done, it’s over. Let’s go correct and let’s get ourselves a little bit better. I thought it was pretty crisp and we got some good things done.”
- Injuries: DT Joey Ivie will be out for a while. “He had his hand worked on and that will be four or five (weeks) whenever that thing gets taken care of.” … Right guard Tyler Jordan did non-contact stuff today and will be more “of an emergency guy.” … LB Daniel McMillian reinjured his trap.
- On QB Luke Del Rio: “He did some of the individual drills. … “We’ll see how that feels really in the morning. He would go (on the trip) anyway just like he did last week, but moving forward Austin has had a good week and is ready to go play again and that should be good.”
- On Vanderbilt: “This is a good football team we’re playing. They’ve got good players. Look at what they did to us last year. Our guys know.”
- On replacing Joey Ivie: “Caleb (Brantley) has got to get us a little more probably inside. Taven Bryan is a guy who has to step up and Khairi Clark, who’s been playing (well) anyways. … CeCe (Jefferson) is going to be called on to do a little more. Jachai Polite, who’s played some for us, Luke Ancrum, those guys are going to have to step in there. … The communication when you get new guys in there has got to be utmost.”
- On Tyrie Cleveland: “He’s just got to become more comfortable with what he’s doing, understand his assignments, the attention to detail it takes to be in the right spots. This guy’s got a chance to be something special here.”
- On No. 2 quarterback: “Feleipe (Franks) took (more) of the reps. I haven’t seen today’s count.”
- More on Del Rio, and whether he could be backup quarterback this week: “He’s definitely questionable. I think the big piece based on what he did today in practice, we’ve got to see how the injury responds moving forward. Obviously he’d be a guy we could put in there hopefully, but if not one of those other guys would be ready to go.”