GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida coach Jim McElwain met with reporters after the team’s Wednesday practice.
Here were the highlights from his comments:
WATCH: Jim McElwain post-practice
Download the SEC Country app: http://apple.co/2cJwARR
Posted by Florida Gators Insiders on Wednesday, November 9, 2016
- “Obviously pretty nicked up, and yet there’s some guys really playing with some enthusiasm and excitement to get in there, and I’m looking forward to them having their opportunity to go out there in The Swamp and play.”
- On honoring Florida’s 1990-91 teams: “I think anytime we have an opportunity to recognize our past, it’s what it’s all about. A lot of guys are playing their last game in The Swamp. It’s a special place. And also the 12 families of the fallen soldiers that will be honored, so there’s a lot of activity going with the game. We’re excited to be back.”
- “Practice this week has been OK. I thought they had a really good focus today, especially in the third down periods that obviously was an Achilles heel for us a week ago but had been pretty good on offense. I thought they looked crisp in handling the package, and yet whatever we have done in the past knowing what a good coach and a good staff they have they’re going to try to take away those things. So we’ve got to kind of think opposite and make sure we’re on top of that as we continue to finish up the plan.”
- Injuries: QB Luke Del Rio (shoulder), LB Alex Anzalone (broken arm), C Cam Dillard (knee) and LB Jarrad Davis (ankle) are out. Chris Thompson (concussion) has a possibility to play. “I think this being a senior day for him is something that’s pretty special.” … “The guy that I thought would be back that I don’t think will be is Carl, CeCe Jefferson.” The DE has a foot injury. … WR Tyrie Cleveland practiced “so he should be in good shape to go.” Special teamer Mark Herndon is out. WR C.J. Worton “continues not to practice.”
- Confirms again that Austin Appleby will start at QB with freshman Feleipe Franks as the backup.
- On going with Appleby: “Austin’s prepared well. He did some really good things in there, and really probably the heightened piece of these games he deserves it and he’ll be ready to go.”
- On Franks: “He’s done a good job all year. Those guys don’t just sit on a scout team or something. We practice goods on goods, so they’ve had a lot of rep within the offense. He continues mechanically to shorten his stroke and understand where to go with it, and obviously he’s got a very strong arm. Sometimes he’ll try to fit in, but at the same time, he’s got a good grasp of what we’re trying to do.”
- On LB David Reese handling communications on defense: “He’ll handle most all of it obviously from that position. The good thing is from him being here in the spring he had an opportunity to run things spring, obviously when Alex (Anzalone) was gone. … He starts the communication, but the key is the echo and the communication with the safeties as well so they’re going to have to be on their game.”
- On what he’ll remember from the seniors: “Probably their investment. And really the way that they welcomed us in even as junior the year before. They were part of that and it just means a lot, and you know what, they’re good players. But more than that, they’re a fun group of guys to be around and I know the Gators mean a lot to them.”
- On senior day: “You know, it’s one of those deals, your last opportunity to be at a place where you spent a lot of time at. And really looking around the locker room, I think that’s probably the biggest thing. … There’s a lot of things that race through your minds and probably the biggest thing is when you start you don’t think you’ll ever finish, and when it’s finished you can’t believe how fast it went. And the lesson is take advantage of every day.”