GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The Florida Gators are nine practices into spring football and held their first full scrimmage Thursday.
UF coach Jim McElwain met with the media Monday to recap the scrimmage and provide the latest updates on his team.
Below, we’ve got a roundup of news and notes from his press conference.
- “Really felt good about the scrimmage Thursday,” McElwain said. The Gators played 117 scrimmage snaps. McElwain said the young guys got valuable reps. Florida will scrimmage again this Friday.
- McElwain said the defense created three turnovers.
- “All the quarterbacks had their moments, both good and bad,” McElwain said, adding that the position as a whole showed consistency.
- McElwain said Eddy Piniero kicked well Thursday and showed off great hang time.
- Players out for Monday’s practice: Defensive tackle Caleb Brantley (sick), center Cam Dillard (broken nose), defensive end Thomas Holley (hip), receivers Ahmad Fulwood and Dre Massey (leg).
- With Fulwood and Massey, McElwain receiver Alvin Bailey had a really good scrimmage Thursday and freshmen Joshua Hammond and Freddie Swain made the most of their extra reps.
- McElwain said freshman defensive back Chauncey Gardner is playing safety and caused a turnover in the red zone during Thursday’s scrimmage.
- McElwain on receiving a $750,000 raise: “It’s good to know that your university and administration believes in the direction that we’re taking this thing.”
- McElwain said all four tight ends have made strides this spring, particularly Moral Stephens. “(DeAndre) Goolsby really showed up in the last scrimmage.”