GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida is set to scrimmage Friday, one week away from the 2016 spring game in The Swamp.
UF coach Jim McElwain meets with the media ahead of practice to provide updates on his team.
Below, we’ve got a roundup of news and notes from his press conference.
- “Today is a big day for a lot guys,” McElwain said of Friday’s scrimmage.
- McElwain hopes to have 120-127 snaps in the scrimmage.
- Injury updates for Friday: center Cam Dillard (broken nose) and wide receiver Ahamd Fulwood (leg) are both back, and offensive tackle David Sharpe is out with a minor leg injury.
- “I’ve been really happy with these guys,” McElwain said of true freshmen wideouts Joshua Hammond and Freddie Swain.
- The spring game is not going to be a practice like it was last year, McElwain said. He wants to create a “game-type atmosphere.”
- McElwain emphasizes winning on first down: “In a perfect world, you’d like to get 4.5-5 yards offensively.”
- McElwain said he’s given at least a day break between practices to provide a “learning period” for the players. He added that their energy level has also been high as a result.
- Linebacker Alex Anzalone has shown no ill effects from his shoulder injury last year, according to McElwain. “The duct tape does a fantastic job based on the reports from the doctors.”
- McElwain said cornerback Jalen Tabor has been outstanding this spring. He loves to play the game and didn’t take well to missing practice last week. “We took it away from him because of that tweak he had, and he was upset. You wish they were all like that.”
- McElwain said defensive ends Luke Ancrum, Keivonnis Davis and Jabari Zuniga have improved with more reps and will play a lot this year.