GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The most anticipated Florida spring game in years was a one-sided affair in The Swamp.
The Gators played four, 12-minute quarters. with a running clock. The first team offense and defense were clad in blue, and the second-team players were in orange. Quarterbacks and specialists wore white.
The Blue Team began the game on a high note, and never relented, cruising to a 44-6 victory over the Orange. A full recap of the game’s top moments can be found below.
- On the game’s final play, Franks found a diving C’yontai Lewis at the front pylon for a 16-yard touchdown pass. It was Franks’ first touchdown pass of the game and gave the Blue Team a 44-6 victory over the Orange Team.
- After making field goals of 52, 46 and 56 yards, Pineiro’s 53-yard attempt late in the fourth quarter sailed wide to the right, his second miss of the evening. 38-6, Blue.
- Pineiro drilled a 56-yard field goal midway through the fourth quarter to give the Blue Team a 38-6 lead. The play was initially whistled dead due to a delay of game penalty, but the coaching staff opted to waive the penalty and award their new kicker the points.
- Franks entered the game early in the fourth quarter and promptly threw his third interception of the game. Dawson jumped a slant route for his second interception off of Franks, returning it 30 yards for a pick-six. Blue extending the lead to 35-6.
- On the first play of the fourth quarter, Del Rio found wide receiver Dre Massey for a 19-yard touchdown pass. Blue now up 28-6.
- Pineiro’s third attempt of the game, a 53-yarder, had the leg but sailed wide right.
- On the ensuing drive, Worton scooped up Thompson’s fumble inside the 5-yard line and ran it for a score. Blue extends its lead to 21-6.
- Franks throws another pick on the third play of the second half. Linebacker Kylan Johnson made the interception.
- Del Rio looked sharp in the first two quarters, finishing 6-of-7 for 105 yards and one touchdown. Worton led all receivers at half with 62 yards on two catches.
- Following the punt, Feleipe Franks entered the game at quarterback and also failed to move the offense. He was sacked the first time he dropped back to pass, then threw an interception to nickelback Duke Dawson on the last play of the first half. Blue leads, 14-6.
- Quarterback Austin Appleby got his turn with the first-team offense just before half, but the Blue went three-and-out.
- Pineiro drills another field goal for the Orange, this time from 46 yards, to bring the score to 14-6, Blue.
- Another junior college transfer, running back Mark Thompson, made his mark in the second quarter with a 26-yard touchdown run. He also had two catches for 19 yards on the drive. 14-3, Blue.
- Eddy Pineiro nailed a 52-yard field goal on the second series of the game. He booted both of his kickoffs out of the end zone as well. Blue leads, 7-3.
- Luke Del Rio started the game at quarterback. He completed both of his pass attempts for 60 yards on the opening series, capped by a 14-yard touchdown pass to tight end DeAndre Goolsby. Wide receiver C.J. Worton had a 46-yard catch on the first passing play of the game. 7-0, Blue.