GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida coach Jim McElwain met with reporters following the Gators’ Wednesday practice.
Here were the highlights from his news conference:
- “Kind of recapping the week practice-wise: Tuesday, I’ll be honest with you, was not great — it wasn’t horrible; it just wasn’t great. I think some of that had to do with coming off an emotional game. … I think the message was sent, the leaders took care of it and we were much better today. I liked our focus, thought we did a really good job in our third down and our low red (zone) today.”
- Injuries: WR C.J. Worton went down today with an ankle. LB Jarrad Davis practiced. “Still hobbled, but did some good things.” DEs Jordan Sherit and Bryan Cox Jr. practiced.
- On Arkansas QB Austin Allen: “I really like the way this guy plays the game and plays in their system. They do a great job of disguising and running like-plays, making the dots the same. He’s very comfortable and he knows timing-wise when to get it out of his hand. It’s fun to watch. It’s our job, it isn’t the sack numbers, but when they do throw (making them) have to adjust a bit.”
- On the big picture: “Here’s basically in terms of that, the big picture is we’ve got to take care of business. There’s no guarantees in life. … We don’t rely on anybody else, I guess, is something we talk about. And yet it’s all for not if you don’t go take care of the now. We’ll see how we come out Saturday. I don’t know. Every Saturday is a brand new event. I like where our guys are at as far as taking care of business.”
- “That second half of that one ballgame down in Knoxville, I’m telling you, it was an eye-opener for some guys to realize you’ve got to play with energy every single snap and you can’t let the past affect the future.”
- On importance of road success with rest of schedule coming up: “It doesn’t matter where you play in this league, the environments are awesome. That’s why it is the SEC. To be considered and be relevant you have to be able to go do that on someone else’s turf. … I don’t know how we’re going to react. We’ve got a great mix. We’ve got so many young guys who I think are infectious with some of the older guys. They kind of get that energy. The thing you do when you play on the road is you play off the fact that everybody hates you. That’s kind of fun, and the louder the stadium gets the more excited you should be.”
- On RB Jordan Cronkrite returning to team: “Well, he had been dinged up and things weren’t going his way. Like I said, ‘We’re here for him.'”
- Will he travel: “Yeah, he’s not injured, so …”