GAINESVILLE, Fla. — There was a strong crowd waiting for the Florida players and coaches at Gator Walk on Saturday as they arrived at The Swamp for their home opener against SEC rival Tennessee (see video below).
As fans started to file in with a half hour still before kickoff, the clouds above Ben Hill Griffin Stadium were overcast and the latest forecast showed a 20 percent chance of rain.
As for the Gators, here are a few pregame observations from warmups:
- The suspended players, including star running back Jordan Scarlett and wide receiver Antonio Callaway, are still not with the team. They were not spotted at Gator Walk or on the field during warmups.
- Take this for what it’s worth. As Florida’s four active quarterbacks took snaps from center in pregame, starter Feleipe Franks was behind starting center T.J. McCoy as expected, then it was Luke Del Rio next in line taking snaps from backup center Tyler Jordan with Malik Zaire third down the row behind reserve center Nick Villano. Again, just an observation. Zaire was also working on some read-option maneuvers, so he could remain in line for a package of plays.
- Florida has its full complement of tight ends today as DeAndre Goolsby (leg) went through warmups along with fellow 1A/1B C’yontai Lewis, as did freshman Kemore Gamble (leg). Gamble is a player to keep an eye on as the season progresses. His combination of size (6-foot-3, 255), blocking ability and viable pass-catching downfield make for an intriguing package.
- Linebacker Kylan Johnson (hamstring) is not in uniform and will miss the game as expected. Redshirt freshman Jeremiah Moon will be the Gators’ third linebacker when called upon, along with starters David Reese and Vosean Joseph.
- Freshman wide receiver James Robinson, who has undergone recent tests on his heart, also is not in uniform.
- The players working on kick returns during warmups were Tyrie Cleveland, who manned the role in the opener, Dre Massey, Malik Davis, C.J. Henderson, Adarius Lemons and McArthur Burnett.
- The players working on punt returns were Brandon Powell, Kadarius Toney, Shawn Davis and Freddie Swain.
Watch Florida arrive at The Swamp for its SEC opener with Tennessee.
Posted by Florida Gators – SEC Country on Saturday, September 16, 2017