Florida WR Antonio Callaway’s indefinite suspension is apparently related to an accusation of sexual assault.
ESPN’s Paula Lavigne and Mark Schlabach report that a woman who accused Callaway and former Florida QB Treon Harris of sexually assaulting her is boycotting a Title IX hearing on the matter because Florida appointed a football booster to adjudicate it.
Callaway’s attorney, Huntley Johnson, fired back Friday and said the actions of accuser’s attorney were “inappropriate and an attempt at intimidation.”
The alleged assault happened in early December. The woman informed the university of the incident but did not report it to police. Callaway and Harris were suspended indefinitely in January for violating the student code of conduct. They were not allowed back on campus until June.
Callaway has not been reinstated to play in games, but he returned to practice this week for the start of fall camp. The university announced last week that Harris was transferring. ESPN, citing sources, said Harris agreed to leave Florida as part of a plea deal in the Title IX case.
The woman’s attorney, John Clune, told UF’s deputy general counsel his client would not be participating in the hearing, scheduled for Friday, in a letter that was obtained by ESPN.
“This has been a difficult decision but as I previously indicated to you, the fact that UF has hired a football booster to adjudicate a sexual assault allegation against one of the team’s own football players is a fundamentally skewed process in which [the complainant] refuses to participate,” Clune wrote.