Following reports that the robbery that Ryan Lochte said happened never occurred, Lochte issued a length apology via his Twitter account.
“I want to apologize for my behavior last weekend– for not being more careful and candid in how I described the events of that early morning and for my role in taking the focus away from the many athletes fulfilling their dreams of participating in the Olympics,” Lochte said in the apology.
“I accept responsibility for my role in this happening and have learned some valuable lessons,” Lochte said.
— Ryan Lochte (@RyanLochte) August 19, 2016
The incident was first described as a robbery by Lochte on Sunday. Lochte originally said that the four U.S. swimmers had been robbed by men dressed as police with guns.
It was later reported that the four swimmers stopped at a gas station and urinated on the outside of the gas station. The swimmers also reportedly broke a bathroom door, which the swimmers were asked to pay for by the owner of the gas station. The swimmers left some money and then returned to the Olympic Village.
On Wednesday, Lochte and James Feigen had their passports seized by Brazilian authorities on Wednesday but Lochte was already back in the United States. Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger were pulled off their flight and Wednesday night and also had their passports seized.
The two swimmers than told authorities that the robbery had been made up on Thursday. The U.S. Olympic Committee also issued an apology for the swimmers behavior in Rio.
Lochte and Feigen have both been indicted by the Brazilian authorities for falsifying a crime. If the two are convicted, they could face a maximum of three years in jail.
Bentz, Conger and Feigen have since been allowed to return to the United States after cooperating with Brazilian authorities.