U.S. Olympic Committee CEO Scott Blackmun promised “further action” against Ryan Lochte and three other U.S. swimmers following an incident last week that described the four as victims of armed robbery, The Associated Press reported.
Lochte said he “takes full responsibility” for the overexaggeration of the incident, calling it “immature behavior” in an interview Saturday with NBC News’ Matt Lauer.
“We all understand that they let down our athletes. They let down Americans,” Blackmun said, per The Associated Press. “And they really let down our hosts in Rio who did such a wonderful job, and we feel very badly about that. I think we ended up in the right place in terms of being able to shine a light on what really happened there.”
The incident first was reported by Lochte to be armed robbery of himself and three U.S. swimming teammates. But in the days since, it later was reported that the four swimmers stopped at a gas station and urinated on the outside of it. The swimmers also reportedly vandalized a bathroom, which the swimmers were asked to pay for by the owner of the gas station. The swimmers left some money and then returned to the Olympic Village.
— NBC Nightly News (@NBCNightlyNews) August 20, 2016
Says Lauer in the interview: “The first version of the story you told, Ryan, was much more about the mean streets of Rio. And the version we’re hearing now is much more about a negotiated settlement to cover up some dumb behavior.”
To which Lochte said: “And that’s why I’m taking full responsibility for it, is because I overexaggerated that story and if I had never done that we would never be in this mess.”