Florida coach Jim McElwain hit the road last week for the start of his spring speaking tour.
McElwain addressed the status of wide receiver Antonio Callaway and quarterback Treon Harris, who were suspended indefinitely from the team in January and missed all of spring practice.
“No,” McElwain told reporters in Fort Lauderdale when asked if anything has changed. “Still the same thing.”
McElwain also confirmed that Florida is working on renewing the rivalry with Miami in 2019. His speaking tour continues Tuesday with a stop in Jacksonville, and SEC Country will provide coverage from the event.
Here are five comments from McElwain last week as well as some photos and videos below.
1. McElwain on the next step for his program: “We’ve come a long ways as an organization and a football program. We’ve got a lot of things in place but we’ve also got a ton of work left to do. For us it’s about continually evolving and getting a little better. I think we did that this spring. It was a great year for us. I don’t think a year ago when I came to this there were many people that weren’t expecting to spend their first weekend in December in Atlanta. That’s a credit to those players but we have to learn how to not be satisfied and take the next step.” via Gainesville Sun from the Polk County Gator Club.
2. McElwain on recruiting South Florida: “We have 20-plus players on our roster from this neck of the woods and we need to continue to do that. Having (linebackers coach) Randy Shannon on our staff and obviously (receivers coach) Kerry Dixon — who spent some time at FIU and FAU and has some real relationships down here — I think that’s really important for us. … There’s enough (South Florida recruits) to go around. Look, we aren’t the only three schools recruiting down here. Every single school in the country comes down here and for the right reason — there’s great football. Each kid is an individual person and they’re looking for a certain thing that each school is unique. So they’re going to choose the school that fits them. I know this, we’re going to come down and get as many as we can.” via Palm Beach Post from the Broward County Gator Club.
3. McElwain on NCAA allowing unlimited text messaging in recruiting: “Whether I like it, dislike it, believe in it or don’t believe in any rule, we’re going to adapt and do what you can based on whatever those are. Yet I just hope it doesn’t become a nuisance for those players. But that’s the way it is and everybody is playing by it, so that’s how you’ll do it.” via Palm Beach Post from the Broward County Gator Club.
4. McElwain on players leaving early for the NFL draft: “As you get some of these draft reports back, you’re able to talk about what’s best for you and your family and your career. I’m all for it. As I’ve spoken to clubs, they ask about all these guys leaving early. And I ask, ‘What profession are you?’ The guy said he’s an engineer. OK, so what if Boeing called you when you were a sophomore and said, you know what, don’t finish school right now. Come to us and we’re going to give you $10 million. What are you going to do? So, I think we need to be realistic here.” via Palm Beach Post from the Broward County Gator Club.
5. McElwain on monitoring the social media accounts of recruits and players: “I don’t think a lot of people realize that stuff is there forever now. You can take it off but someone can go get it. The beauty of it is the format, the use of it and what you can do in a positive way with your brand … Each one of our accounts, we’re the president, we’re the CEO and how we choose to brand it is really interesting. Do you choose to take it to a Fortune 500 level or do you choose to go ahead and drop it in the bucket and make it worth nothing.” via Gainesville Sun from the ACCENT Speakers Bureau event on UF campus.
— Florida Gators (@FloridaGators) April 11, 2016
— Jim McElwain (@CoachMcElwain) April 11, 2016
— Deidra Church (@DChurchUF) April 11, 2016
— Landon Watnick (@LandonWatnick) April 12, 2016
— Matt Stamey (@stamey) April 13, 2016
— Deidra Church (@DChurchUF) April 13, 2016
— Jim McElwain (@CoachMcElwain) April 13, 2016
Broward Gator Club knows what Jim McElwain likes. pic.twitter.com/Ytwtktf3sp
— Anthony Chiang (@Anthony_Chiang) April 13, 2016
— Deidra Church (@DChurchUF) April 13, 2016